‘Black-ish’ star Yara Shahidi to visit Syracuse University for social justice event

Kiran Ramsey | Senior Design Editor

The Cuse for Good will be held on Feb. 17, University Announced in a press release issued Sunday.

“Black-ish” star Yara Shahidi and popular rapper Joey Bada$$ will be visiting Syracuse University to speak as part of a panel later this month during the first ever Cuse for Good: Social Justice event.

The event on Feb. 17 will feature foods from eight different cultures and a concert headlined by Joey Bada$$, according to a press release issued by University Union on Sunday.

University Union, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the Student Association will host the panel. SA Vice President Angie Pati and Bandier Program Director Bill Werde will also sit on the panel, and it will be moderated by Don C. Sawyer, Quinnipiac University’s chief diversity officer.

Shahidi is the star of ABC’s “Black-ish” and “Grown-ish,” and was awarded an NAACP Image Award for outstanding supporting actress in a comedy series when she was 15 years old. She is also a philanthropist and has launched “Yara’s Club,” a mentoring program with the Young Women’s Leadership Network in New York City, according to the release.

Joey Bada$$ is a hip-hop recording artist whose second album, “All-Amerikkkan Bada$$,” was the No. 1 rap and No. 1 hip-hop album in the United States at one point. He has starred in the Emmy-winning television show “Mr. Robot.” His single, “Devastated,” was also certified gold by the RIAA.

The event will also feature a premiere of “Black Panther” in Regal Cinemas at Destiny USA on Feb. 15 in partnership with Orange After Dark, SA, Light on Ebony, NPHC, Mixtape, Renegades and Femme Noir, according to the release.

Cuse for Good aims to nurture an environment at SU where the community can come together to discuss and celebrate social justice, according to the release. Proceeds from the “Black Panther” screening, panel, food sales and concert will be donated to three Syracuse City School District schools: Van Duyn Elementary School, Grant Middle School and Fowler High School, per the release.

Joey Bada$$’s concert will be opened by SU student performers Phil The Artist, The Outlaws and DJ Zel.

Tickets for the concert and panel will each cost $5. Tickets for the screening of “Black Panther” are $3 and a combination ticket package for both the concert and panel costs $8. All tickets go on sale Monday at 7 a.m. at the Schine Box Office.