Ice Hockey

Amid conference slump, Syracuse searches for consistency at goaltender

Phil Bryant | Staff Photographer

Abbey Miller has struggled to lay claim to the starting goalie job for Syracuse this season.

After a 5-2 loss to Robert Morris on Jan. 5 marked Syracuse’s fifth-consecutive loss and fourth straight in conference, head coach Paul Flanagan told the team that he was making changes.

One change was shuffling forward among lines in an effort to find a more potent combination on offense. The other was in goal, where freshman Edith D’Astous-Moreau took the place of reigning College Hockey America Goaltender of the Year, senior Abbey Miller.

“I think I was expecting it,” D’Astous-Moreau said, “because (Flanagan) said ‘We’ll make changes’ for forwards and goalie, so I thought maybe he’d put Ady (Cohen) or Maddi (Welch) or me.”

The Orange (6-14-2, 5-4-1 CHA) won its next game, splitting the series with the Colonials thanks in part to 24 saves by D’Astous-Moreau in her first college game. Conference play resumes for Syracuse against Penn State (6-9-8, 2-3-4) on Friday, and SU is still looking for reliability in goal. The Laval, Quebec, native’s performance earned her a second start against No. 6 Cornell, three days after facing RMU. D’Astous-Moreau let in four of the 10 shots on goal she faced in the opening period. Miller entered the game, completing the final two periods and parlaying her play into a start against Colgate the following week.

“(Penn State is) two huge games,” Flanagan said. “So, I think somewhere in there we’re trying to find the hot hand.”

After starting the first seven games of the season for Syracuse, Miller was replaced by sophomore Ady Cohen before the second period against Northeastern on Oct. 20. Junior Maddi Welch earned the start the next day, giving up five goals against the Huskies as SU was swept.

Following a two-week break between games, Miller was in goal again for the Orange. She held the position until Dec. 5, when she gave up three goals in the first period against then-No. 3 Clarkson. Cohen gave up two goals in the final two periods, and has yet to play since.

Since Cohen’s appearance against Clarkson, Miller played every minute in goal until D’Astous-Moreau’s debut earlier this month.
“We have as much depth at net as we do at (defense),” Flanagan said. “We only have five (defenders), so we have one more defenseman than we do goaltender, that’s unique.”

Prior to the new year, Flanagan’s options at goalie were limited to his three returners from last season. D’Astous-Moreau’s academic schedule and commitment to her work with the School of Architecture didn’t permit her to make the team’s practices, she said.

This semester, she’s been able to attend practice and be around the team for the first time since she’s been on campus. With her finally in a routine with the Orange, Flanagan decided to give D’Astous-Moreau an opportunity to see what she could do.

“It was nice to finally play,” D’Astous-Moreau said. “I left because of what I liked at school, but I think it was worth it, because I can finally be with the team and the girls and enjoy myself.”

With Cohen and Welch already given chances and the second half of the season underway, Flanagan believed that his freshman goalie was due for a chance in net. While only three goaltenders can suit up per game, all four are still alive for the starting job.
Miller started against No. 4 Colgate on Tuesday, and for the first time since Dec. 9, she allowed two goals or fewer while playing a full game. Despite her success last year and her position as a starter for most of this season, the senior knows not to take her spot for granted.

“(Competition) is huge. It pushes all of us to be better,” Miller said. “You can’t take a practice off because if you do, you’re probably not going to play on the weekend.”

Whether Miller’s performance against the Raiders earned her additional playing time this weekend is up to Flanagan, who’s still looking for the right combination on the ice. If she does begin the game against the Nittany Lions, her leash may not be long.

Miller was consistent last season and has been reliable for parts of this year, Flanagan said. He hopes that she can maintain her level of play so that the Orange can finally find a steady hand in net.

“Edith played well Saturday then came back to earth on Tuesday,” Flanagan said on Monday before playing Colgate, “so who knows? Back to the drawing board, so to speak.”