Ice Hockey

Senior defender Dakota Derrer’s career over at Syracuse with season-ending injury

Derrer's injury leaves just four eligible seniors on the Orange's roster.

Syracuse defender Dakota Derrer’s collegiate career is over due to a season-ending injury, SU Athletics confirmed on Friday. She announced the injury in an Instagram post on Thursday. The injury has not been disclosed.

Derrer, a senior, played two games this year during SU’s season opening series against Bemidji State on the weekend of Sept. 29. She led the team in blocked shots each of the past two years, and had played in at least 32 games in every season since she was a freshman.

“We have been so fortunate to have such a well-rounded, hard-working player like Dakota on our team,” Flanagan said in a press release. “She was an integral part of our defense and will be missed on the ice, but we are glad that she is still a part of the Orange family.”

She finishes her career with five goals and 14 assists, a point total good for 10th-best all time among Syracuse defenders. The Michigan native tallied 143 blocks in 103 career games, and leaves the program tied for the sixth-best plus/minus in team history (+21).

Derrer had tallied seven blocks in her two games this year, earning one penalty. She leaves Stephanie Grossi, Megan Quinn, Alysha Burriss, and Abbey Miller as the only seniors on the team.