Ice Hockey

Brooke Avery has developed into a premier scorer after transferring from New Hampshire

Phil Bryant | Contributing Photographer

Brooke Avery, after struggling to find her place with SU, is now tied for the team lead in goals.

Brooke Avery has had to be patient throughout her entire collegiate hockey career. She struggled to make a mark on the ice in her first two seasons, tallying eight points combined in those seasons.

But now, in her third year of eligibility, Avery has finally found success.

After transferring to Syracuse (5-11-2, 4-3-1 CHA) from University of New Hampshire before the 2015-16 season, she was forced to sit out and watch for one season, per NCAA rules regarding transfers. Even when she stepped on the ice, she did not see immediate success. Currently a redshirt junior, Avery is contributing at SU. The winger has six goals and three assists thus far this season, tied for the team lead in goals.

“Last year, she struggled a bit,” SU head coach Paul Flanagan said. “We always knew she would come along and be a good player for us.”

In high school, she was offered by both UNH and SU. Deciding to stay close to home, Avery chose UNH, approximately 45 miles from her hometown of Concord, New Hampshire. Over 36 games in her freshman season as Wildcat, Avery tallied one goal and one assist.

“The redshirt year I took at UNH helped me learn and watch the game,” Avery said. “Stepping in has been a big thing for me… making sure that everyone is on the same page.”

Following a difficult freshman year, she looked to transfer. Wishing to mix intense athletics with challenging academics, Avery came to SU, intending to transfer into the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Success didn’t immediately coincide with her transfer. She spent much of the season sitting on the sideline, watching her teammates and learning the system.

While she tallied more points than her first year at UNH, Avery only accumulated six points in 2016-17. Despite the improvement, she still was not reaching her full potential, Flanagan said.

“Hockey comes naturally to her and her game is only going to get better,” sophomore Savannah Rennie said. “She’s got great skills out there. She sees the game really well.”

Yet even when she was not having success on the ice, Avery said she was always confident that if she worked hard enough, she would develop.

This season, the work has finally paid off.

On Nov. 11, as the Orange faced a one-goal deficit against Penn State with eight minutes remaining, Avery made her mark. After a Rennie shot missed the net, Avery jumped on the opportunity, tipping it in for the game-tying goal.

Since that third period, Avery has become a premier offensive player for the Orange. She has totaled five points in her last seven games, including a two-goal game against the Rochester Institute of Technology on Nov. 18.

After two years of mainly watching from the sideline, Avery credits her precise attention while sitting.

“I tried to focus on all the little things,” Avery said. “Now, as long as I know I am doing the right thing, I expect everyone to do the same.”