Student Association

Administrators address student questions at SA forum

Sara Schleicher | Staff Photographer

Approximately 30 students attended an open forum to question and present concerns to university administrators.

At an open student forum, Syracuse University students were able to ask university administrators questions about academics, safety and the student experience.

Instead of its typical SA meeting, the organization hosted Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly, Senior Vice President for Enrollment and the Student Experience Dolan Evanovich and Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado who answered concerns from students and community members during a forum.

The three university administrators each gave a short introductory statement and were then available for questions. Each said they will try to make changes based on concerns they hear from the student body. About 30 students attended the forum. Some of these students have been at SU longer than the administrators present, who have all been at the university for less than three years.

Enrollment and student experience concerns

Students asked Evanovich about the future of mental health resources. He said as part of the Campus Framework, Archbold Gymnasium will be remodeled to house recreation and fitness facilities as well as a health and wellness center — including the Counseling Center and Office of Health Promotion. Construction will start in January and be completed in approximately 18 months, he said.

“But we don’t want to wait 18 months to improve health and wellness services,” Evanovich said. “So we have some plans in place to hire additional staff and expand services in the spring, in the summer, in the fall of next year.”

Evanovich answered concerns regarding where students would go for these services while the building was being remodeled. He said emails would be sent out to students informing them of where to find services they would need. Many fitness supplies are temporarily relocated to the Women’s Building.

He added that Invest Syracuse, a $100 million plan to develop academics and infrastructure around campus, will allot money for future mental health hires, such as additional therapists.

Gerald Brown, a senior in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, asked Evanovich about what plans the Campus Framework has for offices representing minorities, such as the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

Evanovich said the administration has recently been investigating the redesign of Schine Student Center to make it a more conducive place for students to be. This could include relocating off-campus or basement offices, he said, such as the LGBT Resource Center and the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

Safety concerns

A different student asked Maldonado about the way DPS monitored and shut down off-campus parties and events. The student said he had heard rumors that some of these DPS patrols are racially-charged.

If DPS receives a noise or disturbance complaint from a neighbor, they will send a car to investigate the issue and act accordingly, the chief said.

Maldonado also fielded a question about the way sexual assault was handled within the DPS offices and whether there was specific training officers had to undergo. All officers receive some sort of basic training, but some receive more than others — such as investigative officers, Maldonado said.

He added that all sexual assault complaints must be sent to the Syracuse Police Department for primary investigation. Maldonado said DPS treats every sexual assault accusation, with or without evidence, as a serious violation.

Academic and identification concerns

Addressing Wheatly, several students mentioned conflicts they have had with dual majors. One student said it was impossible for him to dual in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the College of Visual and Performing Arts.

Another said that as a dual major in Newhouse and the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, she has had many problems finding advisers who know enough about both programs to tell her how she can take her required courses and graduate in four years.

Wheatly said they are constantly trying to accommodate students with their academic paths and that a new adviser was added in Whitman to assist dual majors.

University College student Michael Bentley stood and said as SU students, everyone receives an identification card. All State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students, full-time SU students and any faculty member may also request an ID card for their dependents — which can be used to check out books from the library or go to the gym. The only members on campus who do not have the option to petition for additional ID cards are University College students, he added.

“I guess we’ll need to go back and better understand the fees that are not paid by part-timers and how that maps into that feeling of disenfranchisement,” Wheatly said. “As in all things, once we know about a problem, we try to find some kind of solution moving forward.”