ON CAMPUS

Committee to focus on creating scholarship fund for DACA/undocumented students

The DACA program, introduced in 2012, gave amnesty to undocumented immigrants brought into the United States as children.

A Syracuse University committee tasked with protecting undocumented students is focusing on creating a legacy scholarship fund for DACA/undocumented students paid for by SU’s endowment, a member of the committee said.

The scholarship aims to improve the attendance of undocumented students at SU and contribute to the institution’s “mission of inclusion and diversity,” said Kelly Rodoski, senior communications manager in the Division of Communications and Marketing and a member of the committee.

The committee will also be providing professional development training for faculty, staff, teaching assistants and student leaders who regularly work with students affected by DACA, Rodoski added.

Chancellor Kent Syverud established the Ad Hoc Committee on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)/Undocumented Students earlier this year. Committee members include a graduate student, two undergraduate students and faculty and staff from the university’s colleges and offices.

Syverud appointed four new members in late October. The new members are Carrie Grogan Abbott, director of the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs; Kelly Rodoski, senior communications manager in the Division of Communications and Marketing; Jamie Winders, professor and chair of the geography department; and Glenn Wright, director of graduate programs in the Graduate School.

Huey Hsiao, associate director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, is also the new point of contact for the DACA committee, Rodoski said in an email.

The committee has already completed a report, which was given to Syverud over the summer, evaluating SU’s resources for DACA/undocumented students on campus. According to an SU News release, several short-term recommendations in the report have already been implemented, including:

• Providing impacted students with specific contact information for campus support
  • Identifying career advising expertise for graduating students that takes into consideration their unique circumstances;
  • Assembling an institutional immediate action team that responds to urgent scenarios and provides emergency response, legal and academic advice, and education to the campus community;
  • Identifying a specialized legal expert and provide impacted students access to advice and assistance.

Former President Barack Obama introduced DACA in 2012. The program gave amnesty to undocumented immigrants who were brought into the United States as children. President Donald Trump announced he would end the program in September, calling on Congress to create a permanent solution for undocumented immigrants.

“Despite uncertainty surrounding DACA, the University remains steadfast in its commitment and full support of all students affected by changing immigration policies,” Rodoski said.

As a member of the committee, Rodoski said she is working to encourage students when they feel threatened.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to work with faculty and staff colleagues to ensure that all of our students have the opportunity to earn their degrees in a safe and supportive environment,” Rodoski said.