Election 2016

Candidates on the issues: The environment

Lucy Naland | Design Editor

Up until the election on Nov. 8, The Daily Orange will be looking at where the presidential, New York state and 24th district candidates stand on major issues. Here’s where they stand on the environment.

hillll-1 

Hillary Clinton says climate change is real and that her administration will address the threats climate change poses. Clinton is against drilling in the Arctic Clinton and the Keystone XL Pipeline, although it took years for Clinton to take a firm stance either for or against it. She also has a plan to address dangerous lead levels after the crisis in Flint, Michigan.

wendylong-1

Wendy Long supports the Keystone XL Pipeline as well as fracking and drilling for natural gas and oil. She also calls for “reasonable” coal regulations and ending energy subsidies for companies like Solyndra.

colleandeacon-1

Colleen Deacon calls for addressing climate change by protecting the clean air and water acts and encouraging cooperation with the international community. Her position on the Keystone XL Pipeline is unknown.

trump-1

Donald Trump has repeatedly maintained that climate change is a hoax and once tweeted that climate change was made up by the Chinese government “in order to make U.S. manufacturing less competitive.” Trump also said he supports lifting regulations on fracking and drilling.

chuckschumer-1

Chuck Schumer calls for expanding the EPA’s oversight of fracking, tightening regulations on flammable oil trains. He also opposes the Keystone XL pipeline, and has maintained that climate change is real.

johnkatko-1

John Katko has acknowledged a human role in contributing to climate change and signed a resolution over the summer stating that Congress needs to act on the issue. He also supports the Keystone XL Pipeline.