Weekend Preview

Events to watch for this weekend

The cross-cultural communication workshop will take place in Maxwell Hall on Saturday.

Here are some newsworthy events to look out for this weekend:

12th Annual Symposium on Energy in the 21st Century

The 12th edition of the Symposium on Energy in the 21st Century will take place on Friday at the The Links at Erie Village in East Syracuse. The Symposium brings together eight panelists who will speak about the electric grid, according to the event’s website.

The topics of discussion will include integration of renewable energy, cybersecurity, resiliency, micro grids and workforce development. Various tours will also be offered for an additional price.

Online registration is required and the cost is $50 for students, which includes breakfast and lunch. It will run from 7:15 a.m. to 2 p.m.

March for Bernie Sanders

Supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) will march through Syracuse on Saturday to show their approval for the presidential candidate. The march will start in Armory Square Park on the corner of South Franklin and Walton streets at 12 p.m.

Currently, 313 people have said they will participate in the Facebook event.

Sanders won the Democratic Wisconsin primary on Tuesday. He currently has 1,056 delegates.

Cross-cultural communication workshop

Peter Castro, an associate professor of anthropology, will lead a hands-on workshop in Maxwell Hall on Saturday about cross-cultural communication. The workshop will also provide an overview of cultural awareness and conflict-management skills, according to the event’s web page.

The workshop is free, but registration is required. It will take place on Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Lecture on campus politics

Stefan Bradley, an associate professor of history at Saint Louis University, will lead a discussion about campus politics on Thursday in the Hall of Languages. He will discuss the growth of race-based activism on college campuses and how it may change higher education, according to the event’s web page.

The event is sponsored by the Future Professoriate Program and is open to the public. It will run from 3:30 to 5 p.m.

Civil engineer discusses smart cities

Ahmed Abdel-Rahim will speak in Link Hall on Friday at 3:30 p.m. about the explosive growth of data related to human mobility and how that may affect the work of civil engineers. Abdel-Rahim is a professor in the civil engineering department at the University of Idaho.

The research from this data has changed how engineers approach updating aging infrastructure and may require changes to civil engineering curriculum, according to the event’s web page.