Weekend Preview

Events to look out for this weekend

Many events are taking place in Hendricks Chapel this Holy Week.

Here are some speakers and events to check out this weekend:

Safer People, Safer Spaces

The LGBT Resource Center is conducting a three-hour training course on Friday as part of its Safer People, Safer Spaces program. The course is designed to develop a better understanding of issues surrounding LGBT culture on campus, according to the LGBT Resource Center website.

It also works to develop more inclusive spaces on campus.

The course is free, but those interested should register by emailing the LGBT Resource Center. It will take place from 12:30-3:30 p.m.

Holy Week kicks off

Holy Week celebrations at Hendricks Chapel will take place from Thursday through Sunday. The Agape meal, which will take place in the Noble Room on Thursday at 6 p.m., is the first event of the weekend. Sara Morey, a graduate conducting student, will lead a Hendricks Chapel Choir concert that night at 8 p.m. in the chapel.

On Easter Sunday, several Christian denominations are holding special Easter services across campus. You can find the complete schedule of events on the Hendricks Chapel website.

Designing drugs on computer software

Michael Shirts, an associate professor at the University of Colorado-Boulder, will discuss the difficulties of creating new pharmaceuticals on computers on Friday. The complexities of biomolecular interaction is the major hurdle in this process, according to the event’s webpage.

Shirts is visiting as part of the Biomedical and Chemical Engineering Graduate Seminar Series. His talk will start at 1 p.m. in Life Sciences Building.

Sound Archives in the 21st Century

Sam Brylawski will be the featured speaker in the annual Brodsky Series for the Advancement of Library Conservation this Thursday and Friday. The event, which is hosted by Syracuse University Libraries, will include a speech by Brylawski on Thursday and a workshop on Friday.

Brylawski is the former head of the Library of Congress Recorded Sound Section, according to the event’s webpage. He will speak on the history of U.S. sound archives and their future potential.

The public speech will take place at 5 p.m. in Bird Library and the free workshop will take place from 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. in the Belfer Audio Archive. Pre-registration is required for the workshop.

The failures of the International Criminal Court

Cora True-Frost, an assistant professor at SU’s College of Law, will present a lecture on the criticisms of the International Criminal Court (ICC) on Thursday.

True-Frost will discuss the pros and cons of the ICC breaking away from the United Nations Security Council.

The talk is free and open to the public. It will take place at 12:30 p.m. in Eggers Hall.