Community honors memory of late Syracuse University student Justin Robinson at memorial service

Liam Sheehan | Asst. Photo Editor

Members of the Syracuse University community attended a memorial service on Thursday in honor of late SU student Justin Robinson.

Justin Robinson was remembered by many people for his smile and ability to make others laugh.

Tatiana Cadet, a friend of Robinson’s and a senior communications and rhetorical studies major at Syracuse University, said there wasn’t a time she interacted with Robinson that he didn’t have a smile on his face.

“That beautiful gap-toothed smile was a part of every conversation we engaged in,” Cadet said during Robinson’s memorial service.

More than 100 members of the SU community gathered inside Hendricks Chapel on Thursday night to remember and celebrate the life of Robinson, a senior economics major at SU who died unexpectedly at his home in Palmetto, Georgia on Sunday. Many of Robinson’s friends shared fond memories of him and performed songs and read poetry in his memory.

eb6932d3-0492-4085-b83f-bc088ba1e680-1

Liam Sheehan | Asst. Photo Editor

During the memorial service a slideshow with pictures and videos of Robinson played on a loop. A framed picture of Robinson was on display in front of the pews inside Hendricks for those in attendance to sign.

Five members of the Multicultural Empowerment Network (MEN), of which Robinson was president, spoke during the memorial service after it opened with a prayer and a reading from the Bible.

One MEN member said the moments of laughter he and many others shared with Robinson throughout his time at SU will “live in our hearts forever.”

“And though his day wasn’t as long as we would have liked … Justin, this is my final message to you: Understand this, whatever path life takes us across time and space, no matter what, you will always be our brother,” one MEN member said. “We will always love you. Until we meet again.”

2bf90fab-abcf-4548-bbb0-7ebac8e0ca33

Liam Sheehan | Asst. Photo Editor

Another member of MEN said Robinson was a warm-hearted individual who would do “anything and everything to help someone in need.”

He added that he always remembered Robinson walking around with an extra-large Starbucks coffee in his hands.

“He was such a genuine person and although he could talk your ear off, you had to love everything he had to say,” the student said.

Representatives from the Juvenile Urban Multicultural Program (J.U.M.P.) Nation also shared memories of Robinson, who was the treasurer of the organization and one of its “most committed” members.

Emelio Woodstock, president of J.U.M.P., said the program will be creating a scholarship in Robinson’s honor because he was “always encouraging us to think better and bigger.”

Woodstock, who knew Robinson since his freshman year and was roommates with him during his junior year, recalled Robinson always having a “signature” pot of rice on the stove every Sunday.

“He was just a magnificent individual with a lot of energy,” Woodstock said. “He always greeted you with a smile.”

After speaking, Woodstock played the piano and sang a duet with another friend of Robinson’s to help those in attendance find comfort.

The memorial ended with a performance from the Black Celestial Choral Ensemble (BCCE), a gospel choir that sings at events on the SU campus. Robinson had been a member of the choir since his freshman year at SU. The lights of Hendricks were dimmed for the performance as about 15 members of BCCE sang and held lit candles in Robinson’s memory.