State

Syracuse University not among 29 private institutions to receive matching grants

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that 29 private colleges and universities in New York state will receive a total of $35.3 million in matching grants. Syracuse University was not among those receiving grants.

Syracuse University is not among 29 private colleges and universities in New York state that will receive a total of $35.3 million in grants announced by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Feb. 8.

The grants are funded by the Higher Education Capital Matching Grant Program, which provides private institutions matching grants “for the construction, rehabilitation or repair of classrooms, laboratories and other facilities,” according to a Cuomo press release.

Under the program, grantees must match every dollar provided by New York state with three dollars of their own, according to the release.

Colleges and universities that will receive funding for projects include the Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, the Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Rochester and Fordham University.

“New York’s colleges and universities are among the best in the nation — and with this funding, we are helping them make big investments that will benefit students in both the near and long-term future,” Cuomo said in the release.

Although SU won’t receive funding from this program, it was part of a winning bid from the Central New York Regional Economic Development Council that won $500 million in state funding as part of Cuomo’s Upstate Revitalization Initiative.

That money is going toward building a National Veterans Resource Complex, which is tentatively planned to be built on the western part of Waverly Avenue. SU is currently in the process of choosing a firm to design the NVRC.