Weekend Preview

News to watch out for this weekend

Eunjung Shin-Vargas and Tracy Delee, instructor and student, respectively, at a handbuilding class at the Community Folk Art Center. The center will be showing a new exhibit this weekend.

A roundup of important events happening this weekend:

‘As Bad as I Wanna Be’ opening

The first spring 2016 exhibit at the Community Folk Art Center will open on Thursday. The show, “As Bad as I Wanna Be,” features work from three black female artists: Delita Martin, Kenyatta Hinkle and Nina Buxenbaum. Their work focuses on reclaiming black female history, according to an SU News release.

The official opening will run from 6 to 8 p.m. on Thursday at the center. The exhibit is free and open to the public. It will be on display until April 23.

Conversations in Conflict Studies speaker

Matthew Cleary, associate professor in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, will be speaking on conflict in southern Mexico on Thursday. The talk will focus on ethnically divided municipalities in the region and how violence there makes it difficult to provide basic services.

Cleary is a professor of political science and has written extensively about Latin America. The talk will be in 400 Eggers Hall from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. and food will be provided.

Rance Crain comes to Newhouse

The latest visitor to the Eric Mower Advertising Forum is Rance Crain, who will be speaking in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium on Thursday. Crain is currently the president and editorial director of Crain Communications, a company that produces various media products. Crain is also the editor-in-chief of Advertising Age, Crain’s Chicago Business and Crain’s New York Business — all Crain Communications publications.

Crain is a graduate of Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism and has won numerous journalism awards. The talk will run from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Lecture on “Mapping Anti-Black Campus Racism”

Ronald Jackson II, a professor at the University of Cincinnati, is coming to SU on Friday to speak about “Mapping Anti-Black Campus Racism in 2015: A Muted Group Finds Its Voice.” Jackson is a professor of communication and has written more than 14 books while working at seven different universities.

The Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies is hosting the event in 500 Hall of Languages. The event will run from 2:30 to 4 p.m.