Work Wednesday

Junior finds empowerment, helps others at the Office of Disability Services

Eddie Natal | Contributing Photographer

In addition to working at ODS, Emilie Ricco, who plans on getting a Master’s Degree in school psychology, is also training an emotional support dog.

When Emilie Ricco first took her job at the campus Office of Disability Services, she was so anxious that she was nervous even to answer the phones.

A junior child and family studies major with a minor in disability studies, Ricco now finds empowerment through her job at ODS.

“When I first took the job, I didn’t think I was going to do well,” Ricco said. “I’ve realized that I can actually help people.”

Ricco works as a student assistant at ODS, serving as a liaison between students and the administrative assistant, who then pairs students with counselors to create an individualized accommodation plan. Built on a platform of innovation and inclusion, ODS puts emphasis on students becoming self-advocates for disability services.

When she’s not helping students, making files and handling payments, Ricco is busy training an emotional support dog, which she often brings into the office for human interaction and affection.

Upon graduating, Ricco plans to work towards a master’s degree in school psychology and a Certificate of Advanced Study in psychology. She hopes to someday work as a high school or university counselor, drawing from her on-campus experience.

“I like interacting with people,” she said, “so this job is perfect because I get to interact not only with students, but also their parents.”

Much of this interaction is done during a pre-orientation, where Ricco works with other members of the ODS staff in introducing new students with disabilities to the campus. They inform students of campus resources such as the writing and tutoring centers in a one-on-one setting, aiming to help any student that needs it.

Ricco said her job helping others has helped her to grow personally as well. By speaking to those in different aspects of the disability field, such as students, counselors and administrators, she said she feels enabled to be an agent for change.

ODS works with students who have any degree of physical, mental or learning disability, and helps them to have the full college experience without worry.

“I feel like a lot of people think ODS is just for people with severe disabilities,” Ricco said. “It’s for all kinds.”