Movies

Benjamin: Watching a movie on Valentine’s Day is always a great idea

Valentine’s Day is one of the most special days of the year. On Feb. 14, couples around the world set aside a day simply to celebrate their love. There are many different ways to observe this holiday, but one of my favorites is to kick back and watch a movie.

If watching a movie sounds like the perfect time to spend a few hours with bae, here are some perfect Syracuse-based date scenarios to consider.

This Woman Is My Destiny

You do not have to shut up and dance with me, but you can go to Destiny USA to catch a great romantic flick. If Destiny USA isn’t your jam, you can always pop down to the surprisingly nice Shoppingtown Mall theater. If you’re into comedy, see “Zoolander 2.” If you’re into action, you can cuddle up to “Deadpool.” And if you really, really want to impress your date, there’s even a Nicholas Sparks movie out right now titled “The Choice.”

My suggestion, though, would be to watch something different. As it just so happens, there will be a screening of  “Pretty in Pink,” one of the all-time great romances, at Destiny USA in honor of the film’s 30th anniversary.

Netflix and Chill

If you aren’t in the mood to leave the house, you can cuddle on the couch, open your laptop and enjoy some good old fashioned Netflix. The great thing about Netflix is that you and your partner can watch whatever floats your boat.

For the ultimate romance, I would suggest Joe Wright’s stirring “Pride and Prejudice” or the Best Picture winner “Shakespeare in Love.” If you’re a real film lover, you might be attracted to a viewing of Wes Anderson’s “Moonrise Kingdom,” which not only features a delightful romance but is also a visual treat. Finally, if you want something nostalgic and goofy, there’s always the good old reliable “Scooby-Doo.”

The Magic Box

Yes, when all else fails, you can always plop down with your special someone and turn on the television. You will be impressed by the variety of options you have to enjoy.

I would suggest turning to Freeform, formerly known as ABC Family, for the best selection. At 7 p.m., you can enjoy the romantic comedy classic “27 Dresses.” Despite inducing marriage anxiety, this film is, on the whole, a treat. At 9:45 p.m. you can enjoy the film “Monster-In-Law,” which over the years has flown under the radar but is a genuinely  hilarious film that you can enjoy with bae.

Single and Ready to Mingle

If you don’t have anyone to share Valentine’s Day with, that’s totally OK! College can be a time to find a special person, but it is also about finding yourself. Treat yo’self and hang out with friends on Sunday night, and maybe pop in a copy of “Lincoln” to celebrate the pending President’s Day! Sure, we might have class the next day, but that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate.

Erik Benjamin is a sophomore television, radio and film major. His column appears weekly in Pulp. You can email him at [email protected] or follow him @embenjamin14 on Twitter.