Michael Gbinije: ‘I thought it was poor officiating today’

Bryan Cereijo | Staff Photographer

Michael Gbinije said a referee admitted to making inconsistent calls during Syracuse's matchup with No. 13 Miami.

MIAMI — Michael Gbinije played the worst game of his Syracuse career on Saturday. He shot 3-of-14 from the field, 0-of-7 from 3, 4-of-9 from the free-throw line, and committed a career-high eight turnovers. In turn, Syracuse (10-5, 0-2 Atlantic Coast) lost to No. 13 Miami (12-1, 1-0), 64-51, in a game that SU led by as many as 12.

Gbinije was hounded all game by Miami guard Angel Rodriguez, and said that the refs allowed too much contact on SU’s end of the floor.

“I thought it was poor officiating today,” Gbinije said. “I would like to share this. After like a minute and 10 into the game, I went up to one of the refs and said ‘Why are you calling touch fouls on this end and we’re getting hammered on the other end and you’re not saying a thing.’ He says ‘I know, I know that you’re right. I got you.’

“He’s basically admitting that he knows what’s going on. It’s like a minute and 10. I told him it’s too late.

“I just want that one to get off my chest.”

Gbinije went on to say that he thought Miami deserved to win. But he was visibly frustrated as he scored a season-low 10 points despite taking 14 shots, a number he’s eclipsed just three times this season.