Two SU students killed in off-campus car accident

UPDATED: Oct. 22, 2015 at 10:34 p.m.

Two graduate students in the College of Engineering and Computer Science died in a car accident about five miles away from the Syracuse University campus early Thursday morning.

The graduate students, Chengye Hou and Yifan Tao, were both involved in the fatal car accident with another student, who is currently being treated for non-life threatening injuries, according to an email from Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz, senior vice president and dean of student affairs at SU.

According to multiple reports, the two died in a crash on East Seneca Turnpike in the Town of DeWitt. According to an Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office press release, at about 12:39 a.m., emergency personnel responded to a call that a four door sedan had hit a tree on East Seneca Turnpike in front of the Clark Reservation State Park. The car had crossed over the westbound lane and struck a tree on the north side of the road, according to the release.

Hou earned his bachelor’s degree from SU in 2015 and was working toward his master’s in mechanical and aerospace engineering. Tao was a first-year master’s student studying mechanical aerospace engineering. Both students were expected to graduate from SU in 2017, according to the email.

“I join Chancellor (Kent) Syverud and the entire University community in extending our heartfelt sympathies during this painful time,” Kantrowitz said in the email. “Our thoughts are with their families and friends, and all those impacted by this tragedy.”