Several campus buildings experience power outage Wednesday afternoon

UPDATED: Sept. 23, 2015 at 7:56 p.m.

Several residence halls and academic buildings lost power for much of the afternoon on Wednesday due to an equipment malfunction in Machinery Hall.

At around 1:25 Wednesday afternoon, Link Hall, Lyman Hall, the Life Science Center, Sci-Tech, Machinery Hall, Bowne Hall, Smith Hall, Slocum Hall, Marion Hall and Hinds Hall all lost power, according to an SU News release.

Booth Hall, Watson Hall, Kimmel Hall, DellPlain Hall, Haven Hall and the Adams Garage also had no power from around 3:45 to 6:20 on Wednesday evening.

Power was restored to all buildings by 6:20 p.m., according to an email sent out by SU News.

For most of the afternoon, campus safety and emergency services did not know whether the cause of the outage originated in Machinery Hall or the Women’s Building, said JD Ross, communications director at the iSchool.

By around 4:30 p.m., though, the cause of the outage was found to be a problem in Machinery Hall, said Keith Kobland, media manager for SU.

During the outage, the buildings that lost power ran on generator power, which only provided little light and some power for technology, said Ross.

Classes were still scheduled, but individual instructors had the option of canceling class. Some even taught class outside or relocated to another building with power, Kobland added.

“I don’t think there were a large number of classes that were affected,” said Kobland. “Some classes that depend on technology might have canceled but I think those with lectures probably still had class or relocated.”

Amanda Salmon, a junior information management and technology major was sitting in class at Hinds Hall when the original power outage occurred.

“We were using the projector and all of the sudden we couldn’t use it anymore,” said Salmon. “Everyone was like ‘ugh this sucks.’”