University Politics

Ann Clarke to step down as VPA dean

Courtesy of SU News

Ann Clarke, dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts, is stepping down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year, SU announced Thursday.

Ann Clarke will be stepping down as Dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts at the end of the 2015-16 academic year, Syracuse University announced Thursday.

Clarke plans to take a one-year research leave and return to the faculty in 2017, according an SU News release. She is the second dean in the past two weeks to say they are stepping down at the end of this year, as Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs Dean James Steinberg announced his plans last week.

Since Clarke was appointed dean in 2008, VPA programs have climbed in national rankings. Graduate programs in ceramics, printmaking, sculpture and transmedia were ranked by U.S. News and World Report as some of the best graduate schools for fine arts, according to the release. The Hollywood Reporter ranked VPA’s film, drama and the Bandier music program among the top 25 schools and programs in the country for their respective fields, according to the release.

“Under Ann’s leadership, the College of Visual and Performing Arts has gained an international reputation for its programs and faculty, opportunities for students both on and off campus and creative and scholarly research,” said Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy in the release.

During her tenure as dean, Clarke also increased VPA’s global presence in New York City, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Brazil, the Czech Republic, England, France, Germany and Italy, according to the release.

New associate dean positions were created during Clarke’s time as dean, including an associate dean of assessment and accreditation, research and graduate studies and global academic research and initiatives, according to the release.

Liddy and Chancellor Kent Syverud will be creating a timetable to search for the next dean, according to the release.