Movies

Stevens: Netflix just keeps getting bigger

Netflix remains the biggest name in streaming because it finds ways to produce and release content in new ways. First came “House of Cards” as an original series in 2013, then later that year came season four of “Arrested Development,” which was adopted by Netflix as their own after three seasons on Fox. After these hits and a few exclusive movies, Netflix remade itself from just a place to watch movies to a legitimate production company and an attractive option as a distributor.

This summer, Netflix has expanded its plan of world domination with new shows, a new way to show a show and access to bigger outside projects.

“Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp”

Starring: Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Molly Shannon, Paul Rudd, Michael Showalter, Michael Ian Black, Amy Poehler, Bradley Cooper and Judah Friedlander

Netflix rounded up the cast of the 2001 cult comedy for the hilarious idea of a prequel series in which all the characters play younger versions of their 16 and 17-year-old selves. Part of the film’s original status as an instant classic was the success of many of the actors right after the film’s release. Bradley Cooper, Elizabeth Banks and Paul Rudd all became stars after WHAS.

With this series, Netflix continues to prove that it can reach outside of itself into established film and television productions and be an attractive option for new material as well as digital distribution.

Guest stars for this season include Weird Al Yankovic, Michael Cera, Kristen Wiig,
Jordan Peele, Josh Charles, John Hamm, John Slattery and Chris Pine.

Check out the trailer here:

“Between”

Starring: Jennette McCurdy

“Between” is the first Netflix show to have weekly releases for each episode. This is partially due to its combined production status with City (a Canadian TV network). All six episodes are now available and the show has been renewed for a second season.

When Netflix first started producing original television, it redefined what a modern show was by making the episodes different lengths and releasing them all at once. It created a natural supply for binge watching. Now, it seems revolutionary for the streaming service to hold viewers back by releasing an episode only once a week. In the few years of Netflix’s dominance, it has continually expanded, redefined, and re-redefined watching TV and movies.

“Hot Girls Wanted”

Netflix has become one of the largest distributors of documentaries and to date has produced over a dozen originals. “Hot Girls Wanted” is a documentary on teen girls who try to make it in amateur porn. Produced by Rashida Jones, this documentary premiered at The Sundance Film Festival in January to great reviews and agreed to a distribution deal with Netflix.

Documentaries rarely get national distribution deals that put them in theaters across the country, but Netflix has proven to be a willing partner. Right now, there are over 100 documentaries streaming on Netflix and more are added every month. The deal with “Hot Girls Wanted” proves that.

More to come

Netflix has a busy summer this year, and there’s even more to come this year and next. Adam Sandler has a deal for four original movies, but not before “Beasts of No Nation” becomes the first Netflix Original movie in October. Early next year, a sequel to “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” will premier in theaters and IMAX in China as well as Netflix in the western world. Netflix continues to remodel the structure of producing and releasing movies in creative ways.

Netflix is a brand as strong and attractive as any distribution company today, and its competitors are too far behind to cause much trouble. Hulu recently acquired production of “The Mindy Project” and streaming rights to “Seinfeld,” but as long as the Hulu+ users have to deal with ads, Netflix will have no problem staying ahead. Even with a few other (and much smaller) streaming/producing sites, there really is no true competition for Netflix. As long as it continues redefining what it means to be a streaming site, everybody else will be a few steps behind and quite a few dollars short.

Kyle Stevens is a sophomore advertising major. You can email him at [email protected] or reach him on Twitter at @kstevs_.