Countdown to Camp

No. 11: Inexperience at center

Rob Trudo is expected to step into the starting center role this season after playing both left and right guard last season.

With Syracuse football training camp just a month away, The Daily Orange beat writers, Sam Blum, Jesse Dougherty, Matt Schneidman and Paul Schwedelson will reveal the top 15 preseason storylines with a new one every other day. Make sure to check dailyorange.com and click here to see all the posts as we count down to camp.

Even the presumed starter at center, a senior, hasn’t played the position in college. Rob Trudo will likely take the reins in front of Terrel Hunt and the three behind him have little to no in-game college experience at the position.

In addition to the void at left tackle left by Sean Hickey’s graduation, there was also one at center, another position on the SU offensive line looking for stability this season.

After John Miller’s graduation, the Orange was left looking for substitutes — a common theme both last season and this upcoming one on a hampered offensive line.

Last year, Trudo started nine games at right guard and two at left. He’ll move between the two, leading a group that includes junior Jason Emerich, junior Kendall Moore and sophomore Donnie Foster.

Emerich started two games last year, Foster didn’t play in any and Moore is transitioning to the position from tight end. Trudo was injured for part of spring practice and had a class schedule that conflicted with practice time, so he didn’t get the maximum reps at the spot.

Still, expect Trudo to be under center unless he gets hurt, with Emerich as a viable second option for an embattled Syracuse rushing attack.