Syracuse University student prepares for post-graduation, cross-country bicycling trip with Bike & Build

Mary Mik | Contributing Photographer

Will Fancher, a senior nutrition science and biology dual major at Syracuse University, will ride his bike on a cross-country trip this summer with the Bike & Build non-profit organization.

Will Fancher is preparing himself for an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity — a nearly 4,000-mile journey this summer from Virginia to Oregon in which he’ll ride a bike and build affordable housing.

And when looking for inspiration ahead of the trip, Fancher said he thinks of a famous actor.

“I am beyond myself with excitement for this trip…” Fancher said. “I like how Robin Williams described (bike riding), ‘It’s the closest you can get to flying without ever leaving the ground.’”

Fancher, a senior nutrition science and biology major at Syracuse University, will get to ride the bike on a cross-country trip this summer with the Bike & Build non-profit organization. He’ll begin his journey 13 days after graduation.

Founded in 2002, Bike & Build sponsors nine cycling trips each summer. The money raised from each cyclist before and throughout the trip works to enable affordable housing organizations, such as Habitat for Humanity, to expand operations and serve more people, according to the organization’s website. The main goal of a Bike & Build trip is to advocate for the need of affordable housing in the U.S., Fancher said in an email.

For Fancher, it was his cousin, Andrea, who sparked his interest in the trip.

“My cousin participated on a Bike & Build trip a couple years ago, and I always thought it would be a cool idea to participate,” he said.

The application process began in November 2014. A review of his medical history, personal statements and essay questions complete with doctor’s exam to prove physical ability rounded out the prerequisites.

About two weeks later, Fancher heard news that he was selected for the ride. With seven months until his May 23 departure, Fancher began to fundraise the $4,500 requirement necessary to participate.

“Some of this money goes toward the logistics of our trip, but a large portion of it is used for building materials, direct donations to the affordable housing organizations along our route and national grants,” Fancher said.

When Will Fancher met his $1,000 fundraising goal, he was given a credit to last him 3,869 miles. The credit, priced at $970, would go toward a Giant Defy 3, a road bike Fancher described as “hard not to ride.”

He added that $500 of the fundraised money goes to an affordable housing organization of the rider’s choosing.

Similarly, the riders must complete an online affordable housing curriculum, complete a minimum of 10 hours of volunteer service at a local affordable housing organization and interview a beneficiary from that organization to present to the 29 other group members. To complete this, Fancher chose the local Syracuse chapter of Habitat for Humanity.

“I quite enjoy working with Syracuse Habitat for Humanity, the staff there is very friendly and compassionate,” Fancher said. “Syracuse has done a lot for me and it feels only right to give back.”

Aside from the mental preparation and fundraising efforts, there is the physical requirement that comes with training for the bike ride that will begin in Virginia Beach, Virginia and end three months later in Cannon Beach, Oregon.

The participating bikers are required to bike 500 miles prior to the start of the trip, Fancher said, and added that he is closing in on 200 miles. Fancher bikes whenever he has free time, normally around Jamesville Lake, and said the biggest challenge he’s faced so far is the slow start to spring and the condition of the roads.

“I’ve run a couple marathons, done some triathlons and I enjoy backpacking, but I have never done this kind of mileage before,” he said.

His mother, Jean Fancher, said she is proud of her son’s participation in this journey.

“I think it is an amazing opportunity for anyone to be part of,” she said. “It will give Will time to explore, raise awareness about housing issues and help out.”