Forward B.J. Johnson will transfer from Syracuse

Chase Gaewski | Staff Photographer

Syracuse forward B.J. Johnson will transfer from Syracuse, his father Robert Johnson confirmed in a text message on Thursday afternoon.

The Post-Standard first reported the rising junior’s intention to transfer earlier on Thursday. Shortly after, Robert Johnson confirmed his son’s transfer, Scout.com’s Evan Daniels reported that Ron Patterson also plans to transfer from the Orange. The Daily Orange confirmed Patterson’s transfer with his father, Marc Patterson.

“A year older and B.J. at 210-20 (pounds) will be good for his career,” Robert Johnson said in a text message.

Robert Johnson also said that his son is considering a lot of schools and that the recruiting process is essentially starting over again. Johnson, who attended Lower Merion (Pennsylvania) High School, is the first player to transfer from Syracuse since DaShonte Riley transferred to Eastern Michigan after the 2010-11 season. Patterson joined Johnson as the second player shortly after.

Johnson played just 55 total minutes as a freshman before averaging 4.2 points and 3.2 rebounds in 14.6 minutes per game this past season. He saw a significant rise in playing time toward the end of the season after Chris McCullough tore his ACL in SU’s win over Florida State on Jan. 11. He tied his career-high with 19 points in the Orange’s win over then-No. 9 Notre Dame on Feb. 24. Johnson also scored 19 points in Syracuse’s season-opening win over Kennesaw State.

The pair of transfers opens up a scholarship slot for 2015 target Thomas Bryant. Bryant is a four-star forward and a Huntington, West Virginia, native, who is finishing up as a senior at Huntington (West Virginia) Prep. The Orange currently has four players signed for 2015, and Bryant is reportedly considering offers from Syracuse, Kentucky and Indiana.

With Johnson and Patterson transferring, SU now has just two scholarship players in its junior class — forward Tyler Roberson and center Chinonso Obokoh.