DAT Rally

Students hold rally, stage sit-in to promote diversity, transparency at Syracuse University

Frankie Prijatel | Asst. Photo Editor

Colton Jones, a senior psychology major and a rally organizer, leads the crowd in a chant during the Diversity and Transparency Rally on Monday afternoon.

More than 100 members of the Syracuse University community gathered outside of Hendricks Chapel Monday afternoon for the Diversity and Transparency Rally before marching to Crouse-Hinds Hall to deliver a list of grievances to the administration.

The rally was planned by THE General Body, a coalition of about 50 student organizations, and began at 3:30 p.m. Several student leaders got up in front of the crowd of students, faculty and staff to share their concerns about campus issues, including cuts to the Posse program, the closure of the Advocacy Center and the lack of transparency in the SU administration.

The importance of unity was stressed throughout the rally outside Hendricks. Between each speaker, attendees chanted in unison and held signs protesting the lack of transparency and commenting on SU’s similarities to a corporation.

“This institution is going backwards,” said Linda Carty, a professor of sociology and African American Studies, as she spoke to the crowd. “We have to be clear that what we want is to be heard.”

At about 4:30 p.m., Ben Kuebrich, a graduate student who is part of Divest SU, encouraged attendees to gather their belongings and walk down to Crouse-Hinds Hall to deliver a list of grievances and demands to the administration.

But when protesters arrived, they were met by Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs, John Sardino, associate chief for the Department of Public Safety, and Daniel French, general counsel for the university, and they found that the doors to the building were locked.

Leaders of the rally asked to be let inside to deliver their list of grievances, but were told that members of senior administration were in the Schine Student Center and were prepared to meet with protesters there. But rally-goers declined to leave, and many began looking for other entrances into the building.

Eventually, around 5 p.m., those who were still outside Crouse-Hinds found a way inside the building and the lobby filled with a mix of protesters and students going to class.

About ten students then gathered and went into a classroom at about 5:15 p.m., where they were going to present their grievances to members of the administration. As of 5:45 p.m., more than 50 other protesters remained in the lobby of the building.

The Daily Orange will continue to update this article.