SU Libraries offers reserved study space through social media contest

/ The Daily Orange

Ashley Thomas, a junior forensic psychology major, studies in Bird Library. Syracuse University Libraries is offering students a reserved study space for midterms week as the award for SU Libraries' social media contest, which ends Friday.

One Syracuse University student will have exclusive access to his or her favorite study space during midterms through an SU Libraries contest.

SU Libraries is offering students the opportunity to compete to win a reserved table to study at during midterms through a social media contest. The contest requires students to take a picture of their favorite study space at the library and post it to social media sites, such as Instagram, Facebook or Twitter, using the #mySULspace hashtag.

Voting on the photos will take place on the library’s Facebook page, and the photo with the most votes will win. The winner receives a reserved table to study at for midterms from Oct. 13-17. The second prizewinner will receive a “study fuel gift basket,” according to the SU Libraries website.

The contest began on Sept. 29 and will end this Friday. Winners will be notified by 5 p.m. that day, according to the website.

Pamela McLaughlin, director of communications and external relations for SU Libraries, said the idea came from seeing other college libraries hold these types of contests. The Learning Commons on the first two floors of E.S. Bird Library has also run similar contests in the past, she added.

“We talked to over 200 students at our recent open house to see if they were interested in sharing with each other via our Facebook page,” she said. “And most of them expressed interest.”

McLaughlin said the library advertised the contest on its social media channels, on its website and on screens in the libraries.

“I don’t know how many entries there are right now, but we hope to find a good collection by the deadline Friday,” she said.

McLaughlin and many students indicated that the libraries are crowded at any time of the year, but it definitely gets worse during midterms and finals.

Angelica Rodriguez, a sophomore broadcast and digital journalism and international relations dual major, said the library is a place where she can experience two environments: studying and socializing. She said she thinks having a reserved table during midterms would be a great way for her and friends to engage in both activities together.

Zeynep Koksal, a senior economics major, said she always goes to the library to study, but doesn’t have a preferred spot.

“I try to change my spot every now and then,” she said. “Some weeks I’m on the first floor, and others I’m in the basement.”

For that reason, she felt the contest would be a great way to choose a new spot for her to occupy during midterms.

McLaughlin said the lower floors tend to fill up more quickly, but at busy times during midterms and finals, for example, all of the floors in Bird Library are full.

Talya Sever, a sophomore economics major, said she’s constantly frustrated with the lack of study space availability in Bird Library and would enjoy her own table.

“Every time I come to the library, I spend so much time trying to find a table, that I end up wasting my study time,” she said. “It’s very annoying, and I would love to have my own table during the stressful midterms week.”