Estime misses FanFest, rehabs sprained ankle during scrimmage

Sophomore H-back Brisly Estime was not at Syracuse FanFest on Saturday afternoon due to a sprained ankle, SU head coach Scott Shafer announced after the intra-squad scrimmage.

Shafer said that Estime sprained his ankle while blocking at practice on Thursday, and was inside Manley Field House rehabbing while his teammates played in front of fans for the first time. Shafer added that the team is going take it “nice and easy” with Estime’s recovery. In his absence, sophomore Sean Avant saw a lot of action in spots usually occupied by Estime.

Sloan, Crume, Arciniega not in pads for scrimmage

Defensive tackles Eric Crume and Ryan Sloan and linebacker Luke Arciniega did not participate in the scrimmage, although the three were on the sidelines.

Shafer said Friday that Sloan is having issues with his arm and Crume has been working back from an offseason knee procedure. Neither one took part in defensive line drills for the 25 minutes of practice that the media saw on Friday, and were running and backpedaling with resistance from trainers.

Linebackers coach Clark Lea said on Thursday that Arciniega is working back to full strength but just isn’t “quite there.”

As a whole, Shafer said that none of the injuries are serious and told everyone to knock on wood before knocking on his own head.