Peers, staff members recall graduate student’s energy, inviting personality

When James Duah-Agyeman met Marinda Williams, she was a school counselor in the Syracuse City School District. Williams knew Duah-Agyeman’s daughter’s mother, a teacher in the district. Williams’ twin sister, Marissa Willingham, had been working with Duah-Agyeman in the Syracuse University Office of Multicultural Affairs for a while.

Duah-Agyeman, director of OMA, said she was a vivacious, respectful, professional, caring individual who loved life.

“When I met her, it was easy to get to know her,” he said. “It was easy to interact with her because she was very accepting and inviting.”

Williams died on March 6 in Syracuse, leaving behind her infant son. She was the diversity education specialist for Conversations About Race and Ethnicity in OMA. She had also received a master’s degree in school counseling from SU in 2009 and was pursuing a certificate of advanced study.

“Our hearts are broken after losing this very special, bright and wonderful colleague,” said Rebecca Kantrowitz, interim senior vice president and dean of student affairs in an email. “Marinda’s contributions to our CARE dialogue program were outstanding and we knew her to be a thoughtful, sensitive and very giving individual.”

As a diversity education specialist for C.A.R.E., Williams was in charge of coordinating discussions on race and racism, Duah-Agyeman said. The discussions took place because of Williams, he added.

In an email sent on behalf of the Department of Counseling and Human Services, Department Chair Nicole Hill said Williams spoke to school counselors-in-training each year about her experiences and how they could change the system.

“She was enthusiastic about using her counseling skills not only to benefit individual students, but their families and communities as well,” she said.

People who knew Williams were touched by her compassion and energy, Hill said.

Faculty enjoyed her laughter, engagement in the classroom and positive approach to tackling difficult topics and issues, Hill added.

“Her optimism and passion are reminders for all of us about the most important elements of who we are as professionals and people,” Hill said.

Afton Kechter, a graduate student in the School of Education, said in an email that Williams was committed to ensuring her students’ safety and well-being.

“She had a vibrant personality and passion for the field that shined through a comment she made in class along the lines of, ‘If one of my students is getting bullied or treated unfairly, I go find that bully and give it to ’em!’” she said.

In an email, Cara Capparelli, a graduate student in the School of Education, said she could tell that Williams’ love for counseling and her students was strong through the stories she shared. Capparelli said she and her classmates shared Williams’ excitement in becoming a new parent.

“This is truly a tragedy for those who knew and loved her, and especially for her beautiful baby boy,” she said.

Michelle Saltis, another graduate student in the School of Education, said in an email that the world has “lost quite a sparkling soul.”

Duah-Agyeman said he misses Williams’ presence and how much Williams loved life. He remembers the love between Williams and her sister, Willingham.

Said Duah-Agyeman: “How much she enriched our life is something that I will treasure always.”