Men's Soccer

Nanco showcases speed as part of deep SU freshman class

Sterling Boin | Staff Photographer

Chris Nanco has emerged as one of Syracuse's best young players.

Ian McIntyre has stressed the importance of his freshman class. The elite play of Alex Halis has been noticeable. Emil Ekblom has started every game at striker. Oyvind Alseth has started every game on defense.

Chris Nanco is a bit quieter, but he’s been just as big a piece as the rest of his class.

“He’s had a very promising, very good start,” McIntyre said. “He’s an electric, dynamic player. He still has a lot to learn, but I think for a first-year guy he’s started really strongly.”

While Nanco is fourth on the team in points and, for stretches, has been one of the team’s go-to players, his nonchalant demeanor says otherwise. When asked about his early success, Nanco smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

McIntyre, Syracuse players and even Nanco himself know about the calm attitude he possesses. But Nanco also knows that his role on the team isn’t as the expressive star. His role is to keep the SU offense moving. He expresses himself by putting the ball in the back of the net.

“Chris is more of a quiet, introverted individual,” McIntyre said, “but he’s certainly got a lot of personality underneath that. We’re looking for him to express himself and to keep defenders on their back foot.”

Added Nanco: “I play for the team. I try not to have an ego. It’s not really that much of a big deal (that I don’t get a lot of the credit). Everybody’s doing things for the team and it’s one, big collective group effort.”

Through three preseason and four regular-season games, Nanco has given midfielders another option for outlet passes. He’s developed with his fellow freshmen, but also with sophomores Stefanos Stamoulacatos and Juuso Pasanen.

While working with and watching Nanco during the summer, Stamoulacatos realized that the forward’s speed would be an asset right away. The way Nanco has found space, received balls and taken defenders one on one has proven that.

Against Virginia Tech, Pasanen and Nanco connected on a one-two passing play, which almost resulted in a goal for Nanco. It was then Pasanen realized Nanco would be a contributor.

“He’s a young, fast, interesting player,” Pasanen said. “He’s quick with the ball. Whenever you give the ball to him, you can be sure he’ll do something with it. It’s always exciting to see what he does with the ball and he’s capable of scoring goals so it’s good for the team.

“He’s not the guy who will throw jokes around in the locker room or anything. But he’s the guy who just puts the effort in on the field, which is good for the team.”

He might not be the most talkative player on the team, but the forward from Ontario, Canada, has meshed well with Halis and Ekblom on the field. The freshman trio has had a hand in seven of the team’s eight goals this season. And if hockey assists were recorded in soccer, the players point totals would be even higher.

Nanco, Halis and Ekblom combined for all four goals in Monday’s 4-1 victory over Manhattan. With the Orange leading 1-0 midway through the first half, Nanco replaced Grant Chong.

He immediately made his presence felt, sending a pass to Ekblom that led to a scoring chance. Nanco was on the receiving end of a another scoring chance moments later after receiving a through ball from Halis, but it was grabbed by Manhattan defender Sean Towey.

As the Orange continues its Atlantic Coast Conference schedule, Nanco will have to continue his strong play — whether he does it with brashness and flare, or his calm, cool and collected self.

Said Stamoulacatos: “Soccer players don’t have to be loud and obnoxious. Chris being quiet — I mean, off the field we joke around and what not — but he shows his true potential on the field and that’s all that matters.”