SU Marching Band receives new uniforms for ACC debut

This fall the Syracuse University Marching Band will walk into the Carrier Dome in new uniforms, the first update to their appearance in 15 years.

The new uniforms are funded by the “A New Look for a New Era” campaign, which raised $150,000 since it first launched in January this year, according to an Aug. 13 press release.  The uniforms will debut Oct. 5, at the Orange’s first Atlantic Coast Conference home game against Clemson University, according to the release.

“We are thrilled and humbled at the overwhelming response from friends, fans and alumni that made this a reality,” said SUMB director Justin Mertz in the press release. “SU’s athletic bands are the authentic sound of college sports, and now we’ll really look the part.”

The fundraiser had reached half its goal after the Harry T. Mangurian Jr. Foundation initially donated $75,000, facilitated by SU alumna Terry Skuse, a 1975 graduate. Thirty-six donors, who’ve donated more than $500 to the campaign, are each having a patch with their names sewn onto a uniform in thanks for their generosity, according to the release.

The updated look is a complete change from the previous uniforms, with new color schemes and designs. The school’s block “S” logo is now the focus of the back of the new uniforms, and the uniforms are in SU’s orange and navy colors. The old uniform’s sash across the front is also now gone.

For marching band members, the new uniforms could not have arrived soon enough.

SUMB clarinet player Andrew Fielding said he prefers the new colors to the former white uniforms because the old colors would quickly get dirty.

“The old uniforms were uncomfortable and the look was dated,” said Fielding, a junior art history major. “It was too tight for my neck. I like the new uniforms a lot.”

The band purchased 300 uniforms, which were manufactured by DeMoulin Bros. and Co. in the United States, according to the release. Although the band has approximately 200 members, it ordered several extra uniforms to accommodate different sizes and increase in band membership, according to the release.

Each uniform is made from 100 percent recycled material, according to the release.

Marching Band Member Patrice Gonzales said she thinks the old uniforms will also be recycled and turned into backpacks.

The fifteen-year-old uniforms followed the Orange’s football team to its 2004 Champs Sports Bowl appearance and Pin Stripe Bowl victories in 2010 and 2012.

Marching band members who donned the old uniforms were wearing hand-me-downs from the last 15 years. The new look comes with a new fit, with each uniform being tailored to each member’s measurements, said Shane Stone, a junior clarinet player with the SUMB.

The uniforms won’t be the only new thing during SU’s ACC debut, said SUMB member Nicole Cataldo.

“We’re changing some stuff around with our show and it’ll be a surprise when we show up with the new uniforms,” she said.