Decibel

Midsummer serenade: Electronic artist strips down hit tracks in new melodic EP

Typically known for its whimsically fun beats, Owl City won the hearts of thousands with its debut album, “Maybe I’m Dreaming.” Then, its second album featured the megahit “Fireflies,” and Owl City has been living off its success ever since.

Last year, the artist released an album titled “The Midsummer Station,” and just recently released an EP with the same title that includes acoustic remixes from the original album.

While somewhat innovative, the five-track EP may disappoint fans with its number of songs, as if it’s not an actual album. But it’s not supposed to be. An EP, or extended play, is a musical recording that does not have enough material to qualify as a full album. So, think of this release as more of a collector’s edition.

Perhaps the biggest critique about Owl City’s new music is that front man Adam Young is now collaborating with other songwriters. But fear not hardcore Owl City fans — this is not a bad thing. “The Midsummer Station Acoustic EP” is Young’s attempt at broadening his musical horizons.

The EP experiments with a newfound vocal rawness, guitar riffs and a simplicity not previously felt from past albums. If you appreciate Owl City’s music, but could do without the overly electronic and synthesized instrumentals, this album is perfect for you.

The opening track “Good Time” is a stripped-down version of the popular 2012 release that featured Carly Rae Jepsen. In this version, it’s just Young with a guitar, which adds a new dimension to the song. Young’s vocals pull the listener in, and you’ll realize how great his voice really is. The acoustic remixes flatter their mainstream counterparts, and “Good Time” pays homage to its fun lyrics and powerful vocals.

The second track of the album is “Shooting Star,” an encouraging ode to someone special. The original version of this song was also released off the previous album. Like “Good Time,” “Shooting Star” originally gained popularity on its own, but the acoustic version gives it a more original feel.

In a style reminiscent of “Iris” by the Goo Goo Dolls, “Gold” is a deep, yet infectious addition to the album. As the last acoustic remix on the album, this song solidifies why people love acoustic songs in the first place. It is ridiculously relaxing with a two-part harmony in the chorus as well as Young’s intense and unedited vocals.

The album closes out with two previously unreleased tracks, “Hey Anna” and “I Hope You Think of Me,” which both pay tribute to Owl City’s trademark sound. “Hey Anna” is an upbeat, fun-loving song, encouraging a girl to love a boy regardless of his shortcomings. And “I Hope You Think of Me,” although equally upbeat and catchy, has a sadder undertone of a breakup and a sense of wondering if the girl still thinks about her past lover from time to time.

“The Midsummer Station Acoustic EP” is exciting, new and experimental for the international superstar, and Young successfully keeps his audience engaged with new versions of past favorites. This EP is sure to be a win for those who appreciate relaxing music, while still appeasing the die-hard electronica lovers.