Editorial

Students, community should support Syracuse professional lacrosse

The return of professional lacrosse to Syracuse with an indoor exhibition game scheduled for Feb. 21 is an event Central New York natives and Syracuse University students should attend.

The event was organized by Neal Powless, a member of the Onondaga Nation and assistant director of the Native Student Program at SU. The game will be between the Lacrosse All-Stars from New York City and the Syracuse Stingers, which comprises local players. It will be played at the Oncenter War Memorial Arena.

Central New York is the birthplace of lacrosse, known as “the Creator’s game,” making this event important to the history and culture of this area. Community members should take advantage of this opportunity to experience a sport that has greatly influenced the Onondaga Nation and understand its contributions to lacrosse.

Though many SU students may not be as familiar with the history of the region, it is an entertaining way to learn more about a defining factor in Central New York’s past. SU is also a university with a significant lacrosse presence. For students who are interested in SU lacrosse games, this is an opportunity to see more of the sport.

Syracuse has not had a professional lacrosse team since 2000, when the Syracuse Smash had to stop playing, mainly because of poor attendance after three seasons, The Post-Standard reported. Low attendance at professional lacrosse events is hurting teams throughout the league. Supporting this event would mean making a worthy investment in reinstating a piece of Central New York past, which is beneficial for all who inhabit the region.

If this exhibition game is a success, Powless should consider making it a more frequent or annual event. Tickets for the event went on sale Friday on Ticketmaster.