2 football players appear in court Wednesday; case adjourned until Jan. 30

Chase Gaewski | Photo Editor

Marquis Spruill, far left, was one of two Syracuse football players, along with Steve Rene, to appear in court Wednesday as a hearing for an incident occurring Dec. 2.

Syracuse football players Marquis Spruill and Steve Rene appeared in Syracuse City Court Wednesday for a hearing following their arrests on Dec. 2.

The two appeared before Judge Theodore Limpert with their attorney, Christopher Burke of Syracuse University Student Legal Services. Onondaga County Assistant District Attorney Matt Bloss said that he was seeking a “guilty as charged” plea, but told the judge that he was still interviewing witnesses, including the arresting police officers.

The judge then adjourned the case until Jan. 30.

“(Bloss) needs to speak with his people, his witnesses, and that’s when they’ll decide where we’re going from there,” Burke said.

Spruill, 21, faces charges of second-degree harassment and disorderly conduct, both violations. Rene, 21, faces charges of disorderly conduct, a violation, and resisting arrest, a misdemeanor.


Spruill is a starting linebacker for the Syracuse football team, while Rene is a running back and punt returner. Rene was declared out for the season on Nov. 20 and received surgery for an upper body injury.

Syracuse plays in the Pinstripe Bowl on Dec. 29 at Yankee Stadium against West Virginia. Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone said on ESPN CNY Radio Wednesday that Spruill will play in the game, while Rene will not due to his injury. A call to Sue Edson, assistant director of athletics for communications, was not immediately returned.

The two players were arrested in the early morning of Dec. 2. The incident began when Rene stood in the road on Euclid Avenue, yelling at passers-by and police officers, according to the police report. An officer took Rene to the side of the street, but he returned to the road, at the intersection of Livingston and Euclid Avenues.

The officer approached Rene and grabbed his shirt in an attempt to secure his position. Spruill attempted to pull the officer away from Rene, according to the report.

The first officer pushed Spruill away, and another officer came to secure the position. Officers had difficulty handcuffing Rene, according to the report.

Rene and Spruill were placed in the back of a Syracuse police car. While officers were questioning Rene, Spruill kicked the inside of the car in an aggressive manner. He kicked the rear door open at one point, nearly striking an officer in the face, according to the report.

Spruill and Rene declined comment after the hearing.

Top Stories