Hurricane Sandy prompts state of emergency in New York state

Though President Barack Obama declared a state of emergency in New York state as Hurricane Sandy approaches, it does not appear that the hurricane will severely affect Syracuse University.

SU will still hold classes as usual on Monday and Tuesday. If the university does change its status of operation, students will be made aware via a campus-wide email, according to a Sunday SU News release. Students can also check the university’s homepage and SU News, according to the release.

Physical Plant employees have taken necessary steps to prepare for the storm, including preparing backup power in the event that parts of campus experience power outages, according to the release.

While many SU students are not concerned that the hurricane will affect campus, they said they are worried about what Hurricane Sandy might do to their hometowns and families.

Rachel Marks, a junior social work major from Connecticut, said she was more worried for her hometown than SU. But, she said, when she looked at the weather forecast for Syracuse, it didn’t look good either.

Losing power is what Marks said she’s most worried about, especially since she lives off campus. Marks said she’s more likely to lose power than people living in dorms.

Natalie Mota, a freshman psychology major, said she is worried about her family in New York City.

“I think they went to the supermarket and got a lot of food, but I know the food supply is low,” she said.

Tricia Daniels, a sophomore biology major from Weehawken, N.J., said that since she lives near a bay, she is worried about potential flooding.

“It’s supposed to be some of the worst flooding we’ve ever had,” she said.

Obama ordered that the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency assist state and local efforts to respond to emergencies as a result of the hurricane, according to a Sunday White House news release.

Ann Marie Buerkle, who represents the newly drawn 24th Congressional District, released a statement including links to several resources at the local, state and national levels that would provide the most updated information and emergency alerts.

“Please — pay attention to the news media for updates, clear the way for first responders, check on those who might need assistance including seniors, and above all — stay safe!” Buerkle said in the release.

Students like Parrish Smith, a junior accounting major from Bay Shore, N.Y., said he was concerned because he lives near the water. His family has already been evacuated and is staying with relatives who live further inland.

Dylan Yarom, a freshman undeclared major in the College of Arts and Sciences from Westchester, N.Y., said her family was evacuated and is staying with a family friend who had a generator. She said it looked like Hurricane Sandy would be much worse.

But Karina Campos, a freshman industrial design major, said her parents, who live in Connecticut, are less worried about the hurricane because they were hit hard by a few last year.

“We’re more prepared this time,” she said.

For Brittany Peterson, a sophomore nutrition major from New Providence, N.J., it’s people’s unpreparedness that worries her, especially since hurricanes aren’t common.

Said Peterson: “We’ve had small tornadoes go through and we’ve had bad rain and stuff, and there’s been a lot of flooding before, but I think this is a whole new level.”