Zonies opens new store at Insomnia Cookies’ former location on Marshall Street

Zonies, The Calzone King opened a new store on Marshall Street in the previous location of Insomnia Cookies.

The company decided to open its additional store location about two or three months ago, store owner Jamie West said. The intention of making delivery times in the Syracuse University area as quick as possible was a primary reason.

The store offers more than 50 types of calzones and also gives its patrons the ability to create their own. West said the store will eventually offer chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, breadsticks and cookies as well.

Zonies’ first opened in Oswego in 2006, offering 30 different types of calzones, according to its website. The company now has seven stores in the Central New York area, including the Marshall Street location.

The new store is located in what was formerly Insomnia Cookies at 123 Marshall St. Insomnia Cookies moved to 137 Marshall St., formerly Pita El Saha.

Insomnia Cookies moved in search of a larger space that would allow for additional seating, said Renee Sarnecky, marketing manager for Insomnia Cookies.

Despite the size of the store, West said Zonies will provide seating and offer patrons the ability to eat in the store. Currently, he said, benches are set up on the side, and there are plans to eventually provide additional seating.