Basketball

MBB : Syracuse slated to take on Temple in Gotham Classic at Madison Square Garden in December

Syracuse and Temple are headlining teams for the first Gotham Classic next season. The Orange and Owls will play each other at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 22.

The format for the new event has both teams playing home games against three teams, beginning Dec. 15. Those three teams travel to Syracuse and Temple to play games leading up to the matchup in New York City.

Syracuse played in the NIT Season Tip-Off this past season, winning both semifinal and championship games at MSG. The Orange is 89-72 all-time at the arena.

The other teams competing in the Gotham Classic will be announced at a later date.

Temple made the NCAA Tournament this past season as a No. 5 seed, but lost in the second round to No. 12 South Florida. The Owls won the Atlantic 10 in the regular season and finished the year 24-8. They are coached by Fran Dunphy, who has taken Temple to five NCAA Tournaments in six years.

Syracuse has a 16-13 record all-time against Temple, last playing the Owls on March 28, 2002, in the NIT consolation game. Temple won that meeting, 65-54, in MSG.

Temple is joining the Big East for football next season, but it does not join for all sports until 2013.