Ian Eagle explains past experiences, path to successful broadcasting

Ian Eagle began a discussion with Syracuse University students Friday by setting the record straight: ‘Yes, it’s my real name,’ said the voice of the New Jersey Nets.

Eagle, a 1990 graduate of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, spoke in the Halmi Room of Newhouse III about his experiences and path to becoming a successful broadcaster as well as the unique places his career has taken him.

For Eagle, it all started with a dream from when he was a teenager growing up in Queens, N.Y. At Syracuse, he said, he quickly realized his dream was attainable.

‘I was going to do everything in my power to make it happen,’ Eagle said.

After joining WJPZ his freshman year, he gained on-air experience quickly, announcing women’s basketball games at the Carrier Dome. He then joined WAER his sophomore year, where he was given more opportunities to call high-profile games. He also joined UUTV, now CitrusTV, to gain on-camera experience, he said.

‘In this business, you have to fully immerse yourself,’ Eagle said.

In addition to his work with the Nets, Eagle does play-by-play for CBS, calling NFL games every Sunday and men’s college basketball games during both the regular season and the NCAA Tournament.

In addition to his involvement on campus, Eagle said internships are another crucial place to gain real-life experience. He interned with then-recent graduate Mike Tirico for three years, producing Tirico’s radio show and filling in when the busy sports anchor for WTVH, the CBS affiliate in Syracuse, was not there. Eagle said he hosted 10 shows during his senior year.

After graduation, Eagle said, he turned down on-air television jobs to be a producer and work behind the scenes at WFAN, one of New York’s most well-known sports radio stations — against advice. He said people told him if he wanted to be on the air, he shouldn’t take the job.

After a year of working behind the scenes at WFAN, Eagle said he finally got his chance. After filling in for a one-minute sports update, Eagle was added to the schedule and his responsibilities grew. A year later, he was working seven days a week hosting and producing sports talk and football coverage, he said.

In 1994, Eagle got the job with the Nets, and began his tenure with CBS soon after.

Since joining CBS Sports, he has also called boxing matches from Las Vegas, Grand Slam tennis and the NCAA track and field championships.

‘I’ve never called a fight,’ he said, recalling a conversation he had with a CBS executive the day of the match. ‘I’ve never been to a fight. I’ve never been in a fight.’

But he insists that taking every opportunity is important, with thorough preparation.

‘I said yes,’ Eagle said. ‘I didn’t hesitate, I didn’t ponder it. … I said yes.’

Giancarlo Rulli, a senior broadcast and digital journalism major, said it was beneficial to hear about Eagle’s background and how his experience can be ‘an avenue for others.’

‘Well, it’s unbelievable,’ said Eric Gallanty, a freshman broadcast and digital journalism major. ‘It reassures you that you made the right choice.’

Eagle encouraged those in the room to become students of broadcasting by listening to play-by-play, watching the news and studying what it is that professionals do that work — and what does not.

‘If you want to be a broadcaster, every single day and night you can learn,’ Eagle said. ‘It’s like taking a graduate course every day, and to this day, I still do it.’