Health and Science : Out of touch: Study finds cell phone dependence may lead to antisocial behavior

The phrase ‘text me later’ is commonly heard on the Syracuse University campus. But the saying may have large consequences, as a study shows cellphones reduce users’ social consciousness and are linked to more selfish behavior.

‘I think that it can be detrimental to our society if people are always on their cellphones and don’t reach out to actual people,’ said Katy Trengali, sophomore economics major.

Trengali agrees with the findings of a recent study conducted by researchers at the University of Maryland Robert H. Smith School of Business.

The study found that after a short period of cellphone use, people become less likely to partake in ‘prosocial’ behavior. For example, after using a cellphone, study participants were more likely to turn down volunteer opportunities and were less persistent in completing word problems, even when they knew their answers would provide money for charity, said Ajay Abraham, a doctorate candidate and study researcher at the University of Maryland .

Abraham said he and his fellow researchers, assistant marketing professors Rosellina Ferraro and Anastasiya Pocheptsova, believe the results come from the human motivation to satisfy the need to belong.

‘When people use their cellphones, it triggers feeling connectedness to other people,’ Abraham said. ‘When people have the feeling of being connected to other people, their need to belong is satisfied and subsequently they do less activities toward that need or desire. It makes people think they are fulfilled in this goal or this need or desire and have less concern for other people, which feeds into less prosocial tendencies.’

It is not surprising that many do not realize the negative consequences that can come from dependence on devices such as iPads and cellphones and the feelings of connectedness they provide, Abraham said.

‘I find that generations are feeling more and more fulfilled, and this will have unintended consequences that make them less connected to others when given a task that can favor other people.’

Susie Flores, a senior public health major, said she believes the results of the studies are accurate.

‘People constantly texting rely more on texting, so they’re less likely to call or speak to you in person,’ Flores said. ‘This generation is heavily reliant on texting and social media, which is a bad thing. People constantly on their phones lack social skills.’

She said the constant need to check messages can be rude and make people one is conversing with not feel they are a priority, as one can always check a text later.

But Katherine Hart, a sophomore policy studies and television, radio and film major, said she disagrees that a reliance on technology is negative.

‘It’s just a different way to interact with people,’ Hart said. ‘Those people constantly on their phones may not like talking to people in real life, so it’s a way for them to stay connected.’

To test how cellphones affect selfishness and the willingness to help others, researchers conducted several studies in which people were allowed to use their cellphones, only draw and think about their cellphones, only think about their television or only use Facebook.

The groups were then shown an advertisement for a local charity to see how likely participants would be to volunteer. A subsequent study used word problems, which would result in a donation to a charity if solved correctly. The more time spent on this task would indicate how concerned they were with the charity or being ‘prosocial,’ Abraham said.

The studies were conducted on 412 participants, mostly college students, whose ages ranged from 18 to 29.

It was found that those who used their cellphones were less likely to show interest in the charity than those who used their Facebook accounts. It was also found that those who thought about their cellphones for three minutes spent less time on the word problem task compared to those who thought about their television instead, Abraham said.

‘We think that with anything, the first strategy toward correction is awareness. Make people aware of the fact that using their cellphone for a few minutes can have unintended consequences,’ Abraham said. ‘When they become aware, people can decide how to proceed differently.’