Tech : Technology helps SU remember Pan Am victims

Our RAM is bigger than yours

The evolution of technology gives us the ability to aggregate, cultivate and share memories better than ever before. This enables mankind to better commemorate those that most deserve remembering.

With this week marking the 23rd anniversary of the tragic Pan Am 103 bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland, and the start of this year’s Remembrance Week, the effects of these newer practices are particularly obvious. I’ve been able to see this firsthand as a Remembrance Scholar.

This year, Syracuse University is employing many technological tools to honor the 35 students killed during this attack. Christopher Jennison, a 2011-12 Remembrance Scholar and senior policy studies and public relations major, believes the evolution of technology helped make Remembrance Week accessible. 

‘The emergence of social media and communication tools has only increased our ability to remember and honor the victims,’ Jennison said. ‘Through the speed and audience size of these tools, we are able to spread the word and encourage participation in Remembrance Week.’

Judy O’Rourke plays a large role in the university’s efforts to memorialize the 35 lost students. As a member of the Syracuse community for more than 25 years and current director of the Office of Undergraduate Studies, O’Rourke said the transition ushered by technology is remarkable.

‘With this new era, where so much of it is online, you can share pictures much more easily, and there are Facebook pages for everything and everyone,’ O’Rourke said. ‘So the ‘evolution’ of technology is true in that the way we remember has changed.’

Not only have new means of technology changed the way we remember, but they have also shaped the way we share a memory. Twitter is one of the most heavily trafficked avenues for getting the word out and bringing people into the cohesive memory.

According to the Twitter metrics site TweetReach, the hashtag #RemembranceWeek, used for communication about the Remembrance Week events, reached 66,893 people through 50 tweets, and that’s before the week even got into the full swing of things.

Jennison cites Twitter as ‘the best tool in terms of both communicating amongst us as the Remembrance Scholars and communicating with the school and public as a whole.’

The Facebook group has 500 confirmed attendees for events throughout the week and is waiting on RSVP’s from more than 1000 other users. The schedule of events can be found on the Facebook groups, blogs and the official website. Materials the Scholars are handing out have Quick Response barcodes that correspond to individual Web pages of each of the 35 victims. The power of this type of technology drives home the point of the week —remembering those who were taken too soon and perpetuating their stories for future generations. 

Though much of this may seem commonplace, comparing these tactics to those of past Remembrance Weeks may rekindle the wonderment and awe deserving of this kind of technology.

Jennison knows just how big that bridge is.

‘When speaking to people that were at Syracuse when the terrorist attack occurred, it is weird to think how far we have come in terms of technology since that time,’ he said. ‘Many of those who were impacted by the attack say how unnerving it was for students and families to have no way of staying informed about the attack as news developed since there was no easy way to communicate.’

Now, with the influence of power and abilities of technology, we can share a memory to larger audiences and in greater depth than ever before possible.

O’Rourke said: ‘I think now we use the media in every form that we have in order to remember those who were close and dear to us who are gone.’

Jessica Smith is a senior information management and technology and television, radio and film major. Her column appears every Tuesday. She can be reached at [email protected].