Political candidates spark discussion of Mormon religion nationally, on campus

With Jon Huntsman and Mitt Romney, two Mormon presidential candidates running in the 2012 elections, the Latter-day Saint Student Association at Syracuse University uncovers myths regarding their religion by doing what they know — living their faith.

Ryan and Brittany Milcarek are members of the LDSSA. Ryan is a sophomore mechanical engineering student at SU. Brittany graduated from the State University of New York Upstate Medical University and now works as a physical therapist at Van Duyn Home and Hospital. The two, who married this month, regularly attend the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Institute classes at 7 p.m. every Tuesday.

Brittany joined the Church seven years ago, though she said she was initially uncertain about becoming a member of the Church. It was there where Brittany met Ryan.

‘It wasn’t until I found someone who went there that I really understood what the Church was about,’ Brittany said.

In their classroom, a simple painting of Jesus Christ hangs on the wall, along with a piano in the corner of the room. Finishing a hymn, students open their Bibles to discuss the reading about Jacob and Rachel from the Book of Genesis.

The story touched upon the issue of polygamy, invoking questions about Mormons’ beliefs on the topic. Tamara Capone, the teacher of the LDS Institute classes, said Mormons no longer practice polygamy, despite misconceptions portrayed on television shows.

‘People have heard a lot of different things,’ Ryan said, mentioning the political turmoil of Mormonism in the media.

Robert Jeffress, a First Baptist Dallas pastor and supporter of Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry, referred to the faith as a cult on Oct. 7 at the Values Voter Summit.

‘I never really worry about what other people say because the attention is just great,’ Ryan said. ‘It gives people the opportunity to find out what the Church is really about.’

Referring to the flack Mormon political candidates, Romney in particular, have taken based on their religion alone, Ryan still said he has hopes for the future.

‘When Obama ran, there were a lot of things people brought out — both good and bad —same as Clinton,’ Ryan said.  ‘I believe it’s going to become more common as people come to understand more about the religion.’

Misconceptions surrounding Mormonism and the religion’s Christian roots have further surfaced from comments regarding their belief about the trinity.

Devon Harris, the president of the LDS Institute, said Mormons do believe in the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, but as separate entities instead of as one.

‘Of course, we don’t drink; we don’t have premarital sex,’ said Harris, a sophomore musical theater major. ‘But then it’s not that different from some other religions anyway.’

Negative press regarding Mormonism raises questions about moral ideals in the political realm.  Robert McClure, a professor of political science specializing in American politics, leadership and mass communication, said separating religious views from politics is ultimately impossible.

‘We all behave based on some moral structure,’ McClure said.  ‘And for many, if not the overwhelming majority of Americans, that moral structure is rooted in religious faith.’

McClure said religion, or lack thereof, cannot disqualify a candidate from office. On the same note, he said there can be no established church in the United States.

‘But that does not mean there is no religion in politics,’ he said. ‘That, it seems to me, would not only be silly but really stupid.’

Harris said she believes religion shouldn’t be a driving force in a person. People should be judged by their values, she said.

Despite negative press, many are seeing the positive outcome from having both Huntsman and Romney running in the presidential elections.

‘I think the candidates have helped the church and opened some people’s eyes,’ Harris said. ‘It’s shown that we are just like everyone else — we just have different beliefs.’