Tech : Steve Jobs may peel off but Apple Inc. won’t rot away any time soon

Our RAM is bigger than yours

During a pivotal time in the evolution of personal technology, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs is stepping down as CEO, as announced in a letter addressed to Apple board members and consumers last Wednesday.

‘I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come,’ he said in the letter’s opening line.

Does this mean the end to Apple? Or the opening of the floodgates for Apple’s competitors to sweep up the market? I think not.

Rather, I believe the Apple ship will sail on unhindered by the absence of its fearless leader. His departure marks the end of a flourishing reign, but it won’t leave a gaping void in the tech world.

What made Jobs magical was the unique combination of his boundless capacity for innovation and his ability to know when to hold back. Although this rare coupling of traits may be impossible to duplicate, Jobs has left the company in the good hands of his successor and former Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook.

Creating the next big thing time and time again — the first capable personal computer, the MacBook, the iPod, the iPhone, new cloud computing practices and beyond — Jobs has cultivated a seemingly unstoppable creative momentum for the company.

Despite the fact that PCs may technically account for approximately 91 percent of the market share, according to Gartner Inc., Apple’s recent growth and dominance in key demographics indicate Jobs is leaving the company at a perfectly convenient time.

According to a 2010 study conducted by researchers at Hunch, Mac owners are 22 percent more likely to be between ages 18 and 34 in comparison to their PC counterparts. They are also 21 percent more likely to consider themselves as ‘tech-savvy.’ As this demographic ages and new tides of youth embrace the company as fervently as generations X and Y, the market shares may tilt proportionately.

Not only are societal trends suggestive of the longevity of Apple’s success, but hard numbers also sing the same tune.

Financially, Jobs’ departure seems to have little effect on Apple’s stocks (AAPL). As of midday Monday, they hovered around 390, not far off from its 52-week high of 404.50 and worlds above its 52-week low of 235.56.

Plus, since his resignation was announced on Aug. 24, the stock value has risen by more than 10 points. Not exactly symptomatic of a newly doomed company.

These figures support the notion that Job’s legacy, borne of nothing more than a will for something better and an aptitude for creation, has grown to leave its creator and its competitors in its shadow.

Just like what George Washington means to the presidency and what Elvis did for rock ‘n’ roll, Jobs will be to the succession of future Apple CEOs. Even as he takes his leave, he will remain a figurehead (not to mention chairman of the board). His legacy and signature black turtleneck will always be ingrained in the hearts and minds of those who hold Apple dear.

And Jobs knows it. His concluding words in the resignation letter were: ‘I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.’

So keep enjoying your Apple products and agreeing to the annoyingly excessive and vague iTunes terms and conditions. Jobs may be stepping on the brakes, but Apple is still going full force.

Jessica Smith is a senior information management and technology and television, radio and film dual major. Her column appears every Tuesday. She can be reached at [email protected].