Culture

Stay-cation: Pulp proves good Spring Break vacations don’t have to be far away

Just because you’re stuck in Syracuse and not jetting off somewhere warm doesn’t mean you can’t have some fun. Treat yourself to a tasty meal, pamper at a local spa, or take in the local nightlife. Pulp offers some close, convenient choices for some local entertainment.

Out on the Town 

By Amrita Mainthia

Asst. Feature Editor

The Turning Stone Resort and Casino: Whether or not you’ve visited Turning Stone, you’ve definitely heard of it. A local cure for boredom (and money loss), the casino is a nice place to go when you want to get out of the area. As long as you’re over 18, you can place some bets at the tables and dine at any of the casino’s 10 eateries. Attend a show at the new LOL Comedy Club on March 16 or turn heads March 17 at the St. Patrick’s Day Party at Turning Stone’s Club Lava.

Singers Karaoke Club: Admit it, you love karaoke — and yes, singing in the shower counts. Why not test your talents right here in Syracuse? The club, right off of Erie Boulevard, provides a fun atmosphere and is open daily until 2 a.m. So stop by Sunday for the club’s New Song Night, or tap your boots to music selected on Texas Tuesday. You’ve got nothing to lose. And if you really do embarrass yourself, at least it’s Spring Break — there probably won’t be many people around to laugh at you.

Marshall Street bars: If all else fails, bring back the classics and hang out on the Marshall Street scene. Faegan’s Café & Pub, Chuck’s Cafe, Lucy’s Retired Surfers Bar, Harry’s Bar and DJ’s on the Hill are just a few. They’ll stay open during Spring Break, and without the crowds, you won’t have to wait as long to get your drink on. And don’t worry, all of the bars still have their drink specials, so your all-day happy hour at Chuck’s can continue.

The Great Outdoors 

Colleen Bidwill

Asst. Feature Editor

Baltimore Woods Nature Center: Located in Marcellus, N.Y., a brief 20-minute drive from campus, Baltimore Woods Nature Center is a spacious 180 acres to do with it what you please. There are nine trails equaling 6 miles, open every day from dawn to dusk. Visitors can pick up a 3-D map illustrating each trail, as well as the major features of the trail. That’s almost as good as J. Biebs in 3-D. Want to make it even more fun? Bring some snowshoes. But the best part is there is no site visitation fee, which is perfect for the typical starving student.

Onondaga County parks: Right in our own backyard and only $1 to get in, there are a variety of parks you can attend. One is Highland Forest, the county’s oldest park, which has 20 miles of trails and many attractions. Bask in the winter wonderland with a 30-minute sleigh ride for only $5. You can also snowshoe or cross country ski. This is an easy way to get out of the house or apartment. Even better, you can rent a shelter to stay in for the night. But don’t want to pay anything besides your dollar? Grab your sledding gear and go on the 500-foot slope of Skyline Hill. It beats rolling down the Mount on a lunch tray.

Tanglewood Nature Center and Museum: Tucked in Elmira, N.Y., and a two-hour drive, it is well worth the wait. The trails are manageable, mainly about a mile each. However, for those who just want a quick stroll (or are very out of shape), there are a few trails less than half a mile. If you want to make it a little more fun or difficult (or both), then pick up those snowshoes for only $4 an hour. Do you know snowshoeing burns 1,000 calories an hour? So cancel those gym memberships and just whip those out. Once you get tired, head to the free museum, where you can do a variety of activities — but most importantly, where you can see and hold some animals. You had me at animals.

Chow Down 

By Danielle Odiamar

Asst. Feature Editor

With the dining halls on a limited schedule and the luxury of some free time, Spring Break is the perfect chance to explore the Syracuse food selection beyond your meal plan.

If you’re feeling timid about sampling new flavors or simply feeling lazy, a great place to trick your taste buds into believing you’re somewhere sunnier is just a short walk away. Syra-Juice, located in Marshall Square Mall, is a familiar eatery perfect for a quick, delicious lunch.

‘We make everything homemade, down to the salad dressing fresh every day,’ said Tim Melnik, Syra-Juice’s manager. ‘It’s not organic, but it’s as close as you can get.’

The menu also offers a wide variety of wraps and salads, many of which are vegan- or vegetarian-friendly. All these options are also very affordable, with most meal choices costing $6.25 at most.

Melnik suggests the chicken burrito, Syra-Juice’s most popular item, which includes chicken, rice, black beans, salsa, sour cream and cheddar cheese. It also comes with chips and salsa. To complement the Mexican-style meal, order the miraculous Hangover Cure (banana, carrot, apple juice, ginseng and ginger).

‘It really does successfully cure a hangover,’ Melnik said. ‘I’ve drank many in my time.’

Grabbing something from Syra-Juice is also a great excuse to escape cabin fever in the dorms because it does not deliver. But making the trip is worth it, especially if you get there between 5 p.m. and when they close at 6 p.m., as they routinely give away any extra bread and sell soup at half price.

For dinner, treat yourself to a more complete dining experience at Laci’s Tapas Bar. This venture requires a bit more planning and a car, as it’s a 10-minute drive from campus. However, it will make you feel like you’re at a chic restaurant in a big city. Christa Maier, manager of Laci’s, said the restaurant is one you’d find in metropolitan areas like Boston or New York.

Tapas, or smaller-portioned appetizers, are designed to be shared, so Laci’s is a perfect place to bring a big group. Though there are group platter options, Maier suggests each person pick a few dishes and have everyone pick and choose what to sample. The platters are also more expensive, but most singular tapas dishes are no more than $10.

Laci’s has something for everyone, offering two separate menus: Carnivorous Tapas and Herbivorous Tapas. The most popular dish for carnivores is the Martini Beef Skewers, $8, which are chunks of sirloin marinated in vodka and olive juice that are then grilled. On the herbivore menu, Laci’s Mac ‘n Cheese Eggrolls, $10, are macaroni and cheese baked in a wanton wrapper with paprika aioli and are a unique take on a classic favorite.

Even though you’re sticking around for the break, there’s no reason your taste buds can’t take a vacation from campus food.

Self-indulgence 

By Kathleen Kim

Asst. Feature Editor

For a tanning session, head over toGarbos Salon Tanning Centre and Day Spaat 732 S. Crouse Ave., recommends Shelby Fenster, a sophomore broadcast journalism major.

‘Syracuse is just so cloudy and dreary,’ Fenster said. ‘If you can have that opportunity to be in the sun and feel like you’re somewhere else, I think it’s definitely worthwhile.’

Just a stroll away from Marshall Street, the salon offers three tanning options: ‘Bahama,’ a 10-minute standing booth; ‘Aruba,’ a 12-minute bronzing bed; and ‘Cancun,’ a 20-minute high-pressure bed. Students with the semester package, currently $75, can use all three.Rotating rooms with every session eliminates unwanted tan lines and allows for an even tan, said Dominick Barbano, owner of Garbos.

The salon also specializes in airbrushed tanning, and its 12 staff members provide manicures, pedicures and Brazilian waxing.

For students with cars, Fenster suggests they try Apollo Tanning, located at 102 Towne Drivein Fayetteville.

‘Apollo runs a lot of specials that I really think are helpful for students,’ she said.

Open seven days a week, Apollo doesn’t take appointments, so you can just walk right in — and your first visit is free.Currently, the salon offers two deals: 10 sessions for $29 and 20 sessions for $49, said Tom Sgroi, owner of Apollo.

Also in Fayetteville, Royal Treatment Day Spa sits at 7237 Highbridge Road, off of Route 92.Thisfull-service spa and permanent makeup studio offersmassages, facials and head-to-toe body treatments, among other services.

Olivia Perez, a junior biology and anthropology major, stepped in the spa for the first time last week.

‘It’s a great place to unwind,’ she said. ‘It’s just you and your mind.’

Using a 10 percent discount student coupon, Perez opted for the $99 ‘Take Care of Yourself’ special. The one-hour massage included a mini-facial, featuring deep cleansing, masking and moisturizing.

The friendly, professional staff will impress students, Perez said, and the warm, heated rooms will let their minds drift away.

‘You definitely feel like you’re in Cancun getting a back massage,’ she said. ‘You don’t even feel like you’re in cold, blustery Syracuse.’