Basketball

MBB : Three things the Orange needs to do to beat Villanova

If Joseph plays, he needs to bring scorer’s mentality from tipoff

Kris Joseph should be back Saturday. After failing to make the trip to Pittsburgh for Syracuse’s first loss of the season, Joseph practiced Thursday and is officially listed as day-to-day for Saturday’s game. The small forward also responded to a tweet Wednesday, saying he would play. With Joseph’s will to be with his teammates, he should be in the starting lineup. That isn’t the question. The question is: Will he bring the scorer mentality SU sorely lacked against Pittsburgh? In a quick turnaround game against another Top 10 opponent, Joseph must look for his from the outset. If not, the hounding man-to-man of the Wildcats will muzzle the Orange, and SU will be playing from behind as it did Monday.

Together, Jardine and Triche have to keep Fisher in check

Arguably the best offensive player in the country, Kemba Walker was nearly overshadowed. Corey Fisher, the Wildcats’ best player averaging 16.1 points per game, exploded for 28 at Connecticut Monday, and were it not for Walker’s game-winning shot, he might have stolen the show. No other Wildcat reached double digits in scoring marks. Don’t expect the same to happen against the Orange. With Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche using their veteran savvy to check up on and force Fisher into poor decisions at the top of SU’s 2-3 zone, he shouldn’t be able to carry the Wildcats for the second game in a row. History says SU’s chances bode well: Last year, Fisher went 0-for-5 on 3-pointers and 3-for-12 from the field in total. If he gets by the Orange zone, though, thanks to angled backdoor cuts in the vein of Pitt on Monday, he could do damage, as he went 8-of-10 on free throws last year.

Melo and Moussa Keita must combine for at least 10 points and 12 rebounds

If Villanova isn’t Pittsburgh in one facet of its game, it is with regards to the Wildcats’ big men. Luckily for Syracuse, the Orange won’t have to go up against a Gary McGhee for the second time in a row. The Wildcats start three guards and no center. Rick Jackson will have another field day. Count on 15 and 14, at least. But that will only be enough for the Orange to stay in contention. If it is to pull away and embarrass the Wildcats as SU did last year, Melo will have to turn back the clock one week and perform like he did last Saturday. He tallied six points and four rebounds against a Big East veteran in Yancy Gates. Against Villanova’s sophomore big man Mouphtaou Yarou, there is no excuse why he can’t do the same. As for Baye Moussa Keita, expect what you saw in the preseason. The duo needs to show up. Plain and simple.

–– Compiled by Development Editor Tony Olivero, [email protected]