Hendricks Chapel : First female dean installed at Monday ceremony

The Rev. Tiffany Steinwert asked the audience to examine the inside of the chapel during her speech officially accepting her role as the sixth dean of Hendricks Chapel.

‘Look around,’ she said. ‘Go ahead. I really mean it. Drink in the space and the time-worn pews. Imagine for a moment the thousands upon thousands, generation after generation that have come here, each seeking peace.’

After beginning her tenure in March, Steinwert was officially installed as the sixth and first female dean of Hendricks in a ceremony Monday afternoon. Through prayers, songs and speeches, members of the Syracuse University community gave their support to the new dean of the 80-year-old chapel.

Steinwert was drawn to Hendricks and SU because of the strong sense of community, she said.

‘It became clear to me that the history of Hendricks is not of an institution, but rather the people,’ she said. ‘Each individual has made an impact by shaping it and molding it.’

Steinwert has already made an impact, said Bonnie Shoultz, the Buddhist chaplain, at the event. Steinwert took the chaplains on a retreat in May, where Steinwert encouraged them to talk about their life experiences and their goals for Hendricks. The chaplains enjoyed the experience so much they decided to go on another one this fall, Shoultz said. 

‘The dean has brought new leadership and promoted collaborative action,’ she said.

Steinwert exemplifies the attitude of the chapel and will continue to foster the chapel’s accepting atmosphere, said Sierra Fox, president of Hendricks Chapel Choir. Fox, a senior in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, spoke on behalf of the SU student body.

‘She has the tools to deal with an entity as complex as Hendricks Chapel,’ she said.

Gustav Niebuhr, professor of religion and the media, spoke on behalf of SU faculty and advised Steinwert to listen to others but without sacrificing her own convictions. He ended with a Bengali prayer called ‘Where the mind is without fear,’ advising Steinwert about interacting with the SU community.

Chancellor Nancy Cantor said the world can be a tragic place, but Monday’s ceremony provides an uplifting moment. She spoke about the many ways Hendricks influences the campus, even if it is simply a place where students can grab coffee or sit on the steps.

Cantor said Hendricks is a good match for the new dean. Steinwert was selected out of 70 applicants last December. Steinwert has previously taught at Boston University and founded Cambridge Welcoming Ministries, which is dedicated to including the LGBT community in The United Methodist Church.

Richard Phillips, Hendricks dean emeritus who has been retired for 11 years, presented Steinwert with a bowl to represent unity as part of the commemorative gift presentation.

‘Let this bowl communicate to those who enter that this is a place for all people,’ he said.

Taysha Watson, a singer for The Black Celestial Choral Ensemble who performed at the service, said it is important the university chose a female dean to lead Hendricks for the first time.

‘Now many women are coming into powerful positions, and it started with our chancellor,’ said Watson, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Watson said she hopes Steinwert will continue Hendricks’ ideals of inclusiveness and use the chapel as a place for people to gather openly.

Steinwert said the ceremony was not about installing her as dean, but rather continuing Hendricks’ traditions and values. 

‘We are journeying together,’ Steinwert said, ‘and making way for next generation.’