drug cartels

United States issues travel alert for Mexico

The U.S. State Department issued an updated travel alert for Mexico last month, citing violence related to drug cartels throughout the country, most severely along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“Bystanders have been injured or killed in violent attacks in cities across the country, demonstrating the heightened risk of violence in public places,” the travel alert said.

Unlike last year, Syracuse University did not release a notice of the State Department alert to warn students planning to go to Mexico for spring break.

Students who are planning on spending their spring break in Mexico said they feel safe going there despite the travel alert because they are going to tourist areas. Ravi Masand, a senior communications and rhetorical studies major, said to ensure his safety, he plans on carrying little cash with him as well as staying in a large group.

“I’ve talked to my dad about this,” Masand said. “I’m going to be prepared. I went and saw facts about Cancun and they said it was pretty safe, so I’m not worried.”

The State Department also issued a travel alert about Mexico in spring 2009 for similar concerns of drug-related violence, also advising students traveling to Mexico on how to stay safe. Approximately a week before spring break, SU sent an e-mail about the alert to the university community, cautioning students planning on traveling there for the break.

SU spokesman Kevin Morrow did not respond to calls Tuesday regarding the university’s stance on the travel alert.

According to the State Department, more than 100,000 American college students travel to Mexico each year for spring break. To help ensure the safety of student travelers, the State Department released a pamphlet called “Spring Break in Mexico — Know Before You Go” with the travel alert.

“While the vast majority enjoys their vacation without incident, several may die, hundreds will be arrested, and still more will make mistakes that could affect them for the rest of their lives,” the pamphlet said.

To avoid these dangers, the pamphlet recommends “using some common sense,” such as avoiding excessive alcohol consumption, not visiting parts of the country know for excessive violence and not carrying pocket knives, as that can result in weapons charge.