SU student thrown from car as it overturns in LaFayette

A Syracuse University student was ejected from her car Tuesday morning when it overturned on a road in LaFayette, said New York State Police Trooper Ed Carroll.

Rachel Pigott, a senior in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, was immediately transferred to SUNY Upstate Medical University Hospital from the scene and suffered a broken hip and pelvis and a punctured lung, Carroll said. University Hospital officials would not confirm her injuries.

Pigott’s Toyota Rav 4 overturned on Lafayette Road in between Reidy Hill and Commane Road between 8:15 and 8:30 a.m. after Pigott struck a snow bank while she was coming around a curb, Carroll said. One witness saw the car overturn three times, Carroll said.

Carroll said he has not gotten the chance to speak with Pigott about the accident because of her injuries. He said as best as he can tell, Pigott was thrown through the sunroof or driver-side window while the car rolled over. The windshield was smashed, although not all the way through.

Immediately after the accident and at the hospital, Pigott was conscious and breathing, Carroll said.

Carroll said Pigott was most likely going the speed limit in the area, 55 miles per hour, but that was too fast for the weather conditions.

‘Was she going too fast? Yes. You can’t do that at 30 miles per hour,’ Carroll said.

Drugs and alcohol were not involved, he said. Whether she was wearing a seatbelt is still under investigation, he said.

Carroll has not issued a ticket to Pigott, and he said a ticket is pending further investigation because he has not spoken with her yet.

‘Her health and well-being are most important right now,’ Carroll said.

A previous edition of this story appeared on dailyorange.com on Feb. 23.