Green with Pride- Six ways to spend your St. Patrick’s Day in Syracuse

This St. Patrick’s Day, celebrate the holiday like an authentic Irishman with these exciting events. You might have to wander off the Hill a little, but don’t worry — you can still drink green beer and wear a ‘Kiss Me, I’m Irish’ T-shirt.

1. Upside Down Streetlight in Tipperary Hill What: Tipperary Hill CeremonyWhere: Tipperary HillWhen: Today, 10 a.m. How much: FreeThe neighborhood of Tipperary Hill features an upside down streetlight, where the green light shines bright on top of the red light. This famous streetlight is located at the intersection of Milton Avenue and Tompkins Street. Every St. Patrick’s Day at midnight, a shamrock is painted on the street underneath the light. Tomorrow at 10 a.m., there will be a ceremony where Syracuse Mayor Matthew Driscoll will be in attendance as well as other city officials.

2. Funk ‘n Waffles BenefitWhat: Funk ‘n Waffles BenefitWhere: Funk ‘n WafflesWhen: Today, 7:30 p.m.How much: $5A series of student music groups will forgo their St. Patty’s Day partying — for a few hours at least — to benefit a worthy cause. Orange Appeal Acappella, Main Squeeze Acappella, Northbound Traveling Minstrel Jug Band and White After Labor Day are playing an 8:00 p.m. concert at Funk ‘n Waffles to benefit the Golisano Children’s Hospital at Upstate Medical. Doors open at 7:30 and admission is $5.

3. ‘Irish Today, Green Forever’ CampaignThe Office of Residence Life is beginning a new recycling campaign that encourages separating recyclable items. Rooms painted green will be set in Booth Hall and signs and posters will be in other places on campus. In addition, there will be a water taste test in the Schine Student Center, where students can determine which is better — tap water or bottled water.

4.Syracuse University Food Services will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with traditional Irish cuisine, including Seitan stew, shepherd’s pie and of course, corned beef and cabbage.

5. Coleman’s Authentic Irish PubWhat: Coleman’s Authentic Irish Pub 75th Anniversary Where: Coleman’s Authentic Irish Pub, 100 S. Lowell Ave. When: Today, all day starting at 6 a.m. How much: Prices varyUp on Tipperary Hill the festivities begin on the 17th, with Ted Long and Amy Robbins from WNTQ-FM 93.1, and continue until April 11th, the pub’s 75th anniversary. There’s Celtic music, Irish food and no limits on the amount of green beer in between.

6. Turning Stone Resort and CasinoWhat: Luck of the Irish FestivalWhere: Turning Stone Resort and CasinoWhen: Today, all dayHow much: $30The annual Luck of the Irish Festival features bagpipe and harp music as well as the chance to win lots of money. Irish tenor John McDermott will headline on the 17th as part of a day’s worth of Celtic music, alongside Irish-themed acts like Stoutman, Traonach, Blarney Rebel Band, bagpipers and Celtic dancers.