Double Feature, Singers take their songs on the set when they crossover to acting

Hugh Jackman, host of the 81st annual Academy Awards, stood on the stage in front of Hollywood’s heaviest hitters, claiming that the musical isn’t dead. To prove his point, he starts singing a compilation of musical theater numbers. In the middle of his song, he looks up to this silhouetted figure. The lights turn on. The immediate reaction: Why is Beyoncé Knowles performing at the Oscars? Well, it’s because she has her fair share of films, even a few which earned her praise among critics. But she isn’t the first crossover to be successful in two forms of entertainment. And chances are she won’t be the last. In honor of Beyoncé’s Oscar performance, The Daily Orange chose the top five singers-successfully-turned-actors during their careers.

Beyoncé Knowles

Flash back to November 2000: ‘Independent Women Part 1’ lands at No.1 on the Billboard charts, cementing Destiny’s Child – and more importantly, Beyoncé Knowles – as the most prominent female figure in pop and R&B, and she didn’t stop there. Her booty proved to be the most licious, she was crazy in love, and now she’s crossed over from being Sasha Fierce to a bona fide actress.

Beyoncé first hit the silver screen as Foxxy Cleopatra in ‘Austin Powers in Goldmember.’ Though her debut performance did not cross her from being a music diva to a leading lady, she went on to prove she could shed her pop-princess persona and transform into a role, specifically as Deena Jones in 2006’s ‘Dreamgirls.’ It was the first time that Beyoncé was taken seriously in the realm of acting, complete with two Oscars for the film.

No one expects Beyoncé to permanently trade in her microphone for a script, but now she has the flexibility and the credibility to both play the lead role and sing the opening credits.

By Stephanie Musat, managing editor, [email protected]

Jennifer Hudson

Talk about successful. Jennifer Hudson has won a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a Grammy, an Academy Award and more than 20 others.

Coming into the public eye as a finalist on ‘American Idol’ in 2004, Hudson didn’t need to be the American Idol to become famous. After the show, Hudson began acting and landed a role in ‘Dreamgirls,’ singing alongside Beyoncé in 2006. Since then Hudson acted in many films, including ‘Sex and the City: The movie’ and ‘The Secret Life of Bees.’

Although her most recent news coverage has been for the tragic murder of her mother, brother and nephew, Hudson is in the process of her musical comeback after releasing her self-titled album in 2006, and she is planning an upcoming spring tour.

By Amity Paye, Asst. copy editor, [email protected]

Justin Timberlake

Yet another Disney Channel teen star gone famous, Justin Timberlake will steal the hearts of millions of girls until the end of time. Starting his musical career with ‘NSync, Timberlake released his debut solo album in 2002 when the group took a break, bringing sexy back to fans worldwide.

While Timberlake’s musical career reached new highs with his second solo album, ‘FutureSex/LoveSounds,’ in 2006, Timberlake continued his acting career in various films, including ‘Alpha Dog’ and ‘Shrek the Third.’

The former ‘N Sync heartthrob has now earned himself six Grammy Awards and a reputation as a hilarious host of Saturday Night Live and an Emmy Award for the digital short ‘Dick in a Box’ to back that up.

By Amity Paye, Asst Copy Editor [email protected]

Mark Wahlberg

The Calvin Klein model with a third nipple, whose first music video consisted of him ordering the audience to ‘C’mon, c’mon, feel it, feel it!’ in 1991’s ‘Good Vibrations,’ can indeed act. Mark Wahlberg began as the unknown brother of New Kids on the Block hottie Donnie. But once his shirt came off, he established himself as a good – um, well a rapper. After modeling in his boxers for a few years, Wahlberg lost the underwear when he took on the role as porn star Dirk Diggler in 1997’s ‘Boogie Nights,’ setting off a tailspin of other Wahlberg films such as ‘Four Brothers’ and ‘The Departed’ (2006), which got him an Oscar nomination. More notably, Wahlberg is making his money behind the scenes as the producer of the HBO series ‘Entourage.’

By Kelly Outram, Asst. feature editor, [email protected]

Will Smith

Now, this is a story all about how – a rapper who thought that parents would never understand, turned into a multi-million dollar actor who has received several Oscar nominations. Who would have thought that the Philadelphia rapper with the kindergarten-style lyrics could act? He got his big break on ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ as the street-smart nephew of the rich Banks family and hasn’t stopped there. Following his sitcom stint, Smith starred in ‘Bad Boys’ and went on to ‘Independence Day,’ ‘Men in Black’ and ‘Enemy of the State.’ But in 2001, Smith was deemed a certified actor when he starred as the ‘World’s Greatest,’ Muhammad Ali, in the film ‘Ali,’ which earned him an Oscar nomination.