Best Week Ever: Bad jokes, good neighborhoods, and songwriters no one knows

Jason Reeves kicks off Bandersnatch concert series

The folk-pop singer headlined Wednesday night’s performance in the Schine Underground. More than 150 people turned up to catch Reeves and his friend/fellow songwriter Tyrone Wells. Great to see UU reach out to artists from all different backgrounds and all, but honestly … who are these guys? At one point, Wells called himself a ‘tall, bald guy with a guitar.’ He wasn’t joking around; someone in the audience had just asked the exact same question.

University Hill named one of top neighborhoods

Somehow, the American Planning Association found the SU area to be one of 10 great neighborhoods in the country for 2008. The area received points for its Connective Corridor system, its civic participation and its parks. Apparently they didn’t come to hang around Euclid Avenue on a weekend night. Say what you will, but the neighborhood’s feature on the list raises an interesting question: what were some of the other neighborhoods on there? Did Compton make the list?

SU Volleyball beats Niagara 3-0

It was the Orange’s 12th victory in as many tries against the Purple Eagles. The match lasted just 65 minutes, and Orange held its opponents to a .045 attack percentage. Niagara was only 3-13 on the season entering the match, and the loss was its sixth in a row. So, in other words, this was like a football game in reverse? Oh, shoot – I try to go a week without blasting the football team in this column and can’t even manage that. Oh well, if the shoe fits…

Denis Leary makes fun of autism

The comedian drew fire from the Autism Society of America after some of his insensitive comments from his new book reached the public eye. At one point, he called out parents of autistic children, saying their kids can’t compete academically. Wow. Nice one, Denis. Actually, something similar happened on ‘South Park’ last night. Cartman made fun of another touchy subject – breast cancer. Wanna know what happened in the end? He got the crap kicked out of him in a fight.

Candidates square off in final presidential debate

The debate came as Sen. Barack Obama widened his lead over Sen. John McCain in the latest CNN polls to a 53 percent to 45 percent advantage. The candidates squared off on a variety of issues: energy independence, campaign leadership and the economic crisis. Another prominently featured topic was some guy named ‘Joe the plumber.’ Both candidates mentioned meeting the Toledo, Ohio, man on the campaign trail, and tied him into their economic plans. So now we’ve got ‘Joe the plumber’ and ‘Joe Six-Pack;’ what’s next? Joe Mama?