MTV features SU grad student’s music on ‘Real World,’ ‘Hills’

A degree in economics and a realistic outlook on life may not be part of the typical recipe for stardom, but then again, Juliet Lloyd is far from typical. The S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications graduate student took the path that usually leads to monotony but instead arrived at fame.

Lloyd writes, produces and sings her own music, which has been featured on ‘The Real World XX: Hollywood’ and ‘The Hills.’

‘I realized I didn’t want anything to do with economics,’ Lloyd said. ‘I thought, ‘this is not for me.”

She is currently on a promotion tour with her newest album, ‘Leave the Light On.’

Although Lloyd admits she secretly always wanted to be a rock star, as exhibited by her frequent karaoke recording sessions as a child, she recognizes the impracticality of those dreams and instead ‘did the practical thing,’ she said.

The practical thing seemed to be a degree in economics from the University of Rochester. However, after matriculation, Lloyd’s best laid plan went awry.

Little did Lloyd know that her economic pursuits would someday bring her full circle. Tapping into her closet hobbies of singing, songwriting and piano playing, Lloyd left the economic job market and instead attended the Berklee College of Music in Boston.

Two semesters later, Lloyd’s career was up and running.

Based out of Boston, Lloyd remained unsigned. Releasing her first album ‘All Dressed Up’ in 2005, she performed on the east coast and across the country in Los Angeles – always growing a solid fan base.

That base expanded after Lloyd released her second album, ‘Leave the Light On,’ in 2007. Her song, ‘Come Tomorrow’ was featured on the July 9 episode of ‘The Real World XX: Hollywood.’

‘I didn’t realize how much of an impact that was going to have, and I never imagined it was going to be so immediate,’ Lloyd said.

Left dazed by the sudden and unexpected success of her records, Lloyd could not fathom another career-sparking event so soon. And that may be why it went by unnoticed.

Two months after Lloyd’s music was featured on ‘The Real World,’ two of her songs were featured in season four of ‘The Hills.’

‘I logged onto my MySpace one day and fans were asking for certain songs and posting ‘I heard this on The Hills,” she said.

With such success and overwhelming popularity, it seems as if Lloyd’s future is as boundless as her vocal range, especially because this Rochester native refuses to sell out to typical music industry entrapments.

Although Lloyd’s love for recording and performing remains strong, she has decided to split her time making music with her pursuit of a graduate degree in public relations.

‘For a while I did music full-time, but I love school and missed that part of my life,’ she said. ‘I thought it had to be one or the other; I find a job or I do music. I’m now finding you can do both.’

As for what is next, Lloyd plans on staying true to ‘doing both,’ and is starting to think about her next album, while she travels for shows across the east coast.

‘I’d like to do a live or acoustic album since both of my current albums are fully produced,’ she said.