FB : Syracuse hoping to reverse fate vs. Iowa this time

Greg Robinson has won five games since arriving at Syracuse in 2005, although his most memorable game might have been the one that got away.

Syracuse lost to Iowa last season, 20-13, in double overtime. The Orange failed to score on seven attempts from the goalline in the final overtime. Had Syracuse won, it would have undoubtedly been the biggest win under Robinson and perhaps even had a positive effect on the season.

‘I just remember leaving the locker room thinking, ‘Damn, we should have won that game,’ SU defensive tackle Art Jones said. ‘It definitely would have given us more confidence.’

Instead, Syracuse faces Iowa Saturday night (8 p.m., Big Ten Network) seeking redemption on last season’s loss and a turnaround on a 2007 season that opened with an embarrassing 42-12 loss to Washington last Friday.

‘I thought I saw an improved football team when we played Iowa,’ Robinson said. ‘I’d like to think I’ll see the same thing this week. We’ll be a better team than we were last week.’

Iowa doesn’t enter the game with the same national stature as it did last season when they came to the Carrier Dome ranked No. 14, but Syracuse isn’t shining, either.

The Orange allowed 302 rushing yards against Washington. The Hawkeyes rushed for 250 yards in a 16-3 win over Northern Illinois last week.

‘I promise you, they’re going to try to run the football on us,’ Robinson said.

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz didn’t think Washington’s rushing success was a precursor for Iowa success. Ferentz said the Huskies’ and Hawkeyes’ offenses are so different that he couldn’t take much out of that game film.

When Ferentz came on the phone around one p.m. yesterday, he had just finished watching game film of Syracuse-Louisville last season. Perhaps Ferentz was simply being a politician, but he saw how close the game was last season, and he expects the same on Saturday.

‘It’ll be a tough game like last year,’ Ferentz said. ‘We were very fortunate to come out with the win.’

Pistol power

Syracuse came out with a pistol offense in Friday’s game against Washington. Syracuse fans should get familiar with the system, which is almost like a half-shotgun. The running back still lines up behind the quarterback, unlike the shotgun.

‘That’s what we spent spring ball and summer camp doing, and I think there is a lot of merit to it,’ Robinson said. ‘It’s still our offense. We’re still running zone running plays. We’re still getting the ball out, but you have the quarterback in a situation where he can throw the ball a little easier.’

SU quarterback Andrew Robinson said he had no problem getting used to the offense because he played in the shotgun in high school. He takes three-step drops where he used to take five-step drops, but he welcomed the system.

The other player significantly affected by the system change is center Marvin McCall, who must snap the ball differently.

‘It’s a little bit easier (than the shotgun),’ McCall said. ‘It’s not five yards. You don’t have to focus on getting it back there as much. … It’s something us centers need to work on, to make sure we’re not messing up and we’re accurate on it.’

Nevada popularized the pistol offense, which head coach Chris Ault introduced in 2004. Ferentz said he’s never coached against the system and was curious when he first saw it a few seasons ago.

‘It was one of those goofy late games on Friday night and you’re in a hotel and they come on at 10:00,’ Ferentz said. ‘It’s a little bit of a different feel. We’re trying to replicate it in practice.’

Pink alert

This is Greg Robinson’s first time playing in Iowa’s Kinnick Stadium, which is famous for its pink visiting locker room. The locker room is pink because former Hawkeyes coach Hayden Fry was a psychology major and felt pink had a calming effect. The goal was to calm the opponents.

Greg Robinson doesn’t buy it.

‘I remember way back in the ’80s when that all started,’ Robinson said, remembering his time an assistant coach at UCLA. ‘We played them in the Rose Bowl and painted our locker room pink just to prove that we can beat them, and I think we did.’

The game was the 1986 Rose Bowl. UCLA beat Iowa, 45-28.