Director of SU Greek life resigns

JULY 25, 6:10 P.M. – Dr. Roy W. Baker, director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs in the Office of Student Affairs at Syracuse University, announced his resignation in a letter on Tuesday.

Baker has accepted a position with the Pennsylvania State University Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

‘It certainly is a good opportunity,’ said Matthew Snyder, with SU News Services. ‘And the university gives him the best of luck.’

Baker did not immediately return phone calls Wednesday to comment.

When asked why Baker was leaving SU, Snyder declined to comment, but added that it was a great opportunity for him.

Baker, who was hired at SU in 2004, will leave the university on Aug. 17. He will join Penn State later that month.

‘Roy has been instrumental in our fraternities’ and sororities’ renewed success in the area of self-governance, and he has taken Greek philanthropy and anti-violence efforts to new heights,’ says Anastasia L. Urtz, SU’s associate vice president and dean of students. ‘We are grateful for Roy’s commitment to Greek life at Syracuse University, and we wish him the best in his new role at Penn State.’

SU is conducting a national search for someone to replace Baker, Snyder said. It is possible that his position could be filled by the time students arrive for the fall semester next month, but until then Juanita Williams, dean of Student Affairs and other Student Affairs administrators, will assume the position of interim director.

Williams did not immediately return phone calls Wednesday to comment.

During his short time at SU, Baker shook up SU Greek life by applying stricter regulations for fraternities and sororities. Such changes include mandatory guest lists for parties and full-year housing commitments.